Brilliant. Gorgeous. Talented. Fabulous.





My self-esteem has been in the toilet lately. Deep. In. The. Toilet. Self imposed, of this I am sure. I feel no need to reveal the “why(s)” behind my ill logic. Still, it is funny how life can step in and provide you with a bit of a boost when needed most.

While driving to Missouri last week I stopped at a random gas station and mini-mart in Greenland, Arkansas. A truck pulled in next to me. The driver, a fairly attractive man at least 5 (if not more) years my junior, nodded to me and raised his hand in a brief wave. “I don’t know you!” I thought … but I extended a small smile as I exited my vehicle and entered the mini-mart. He came in as well and it seemed we were both going about our own business. As I left my phone rang. It was my mother checking on the progress of my journey. I chatted with her as I walked to my vehicle but noticed that my admirer was not far behind. I sat in my vehicle talking to mom and getting ready to get back on the road when I noticed that this gentleman had gotten into his truck but was not moving. In fact, he was motioning to me. I asked my mother to hold on and rolled down the window only to be surprised with having the man inquire about my digits … my phone number. Now, I am not in the habit of handing out my cell phone number to strange men at random rural gas stations and I did not make an exception in this instance. I merely laughed aloud and informed him that I would do no such thing. His response? “Damn!” Yet, he waved again as I pulled out and continued on my merry way.

It has been quite some time since a man blatantly hit on me. I have been told that I exude a standoffish type aura which is: a) likely true and b) not likely to change. Still, with my self-esteem lately entrenched within the depths of the commode … this little encounter provided me with a wee a bit of a much needed reminder … to stop being afraid of my own light.

I am brilliant.
I am gorgeous.
I am talented.
I am fabulous.

Can I get an “Amen!”?

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?” ~Marianne Williamson

2 comments:

  1. Amen sister! It's amazing how a little appreciation flowing your way can remind you that you've got it goin' on...eh?!

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin