A Good Day ... But Not This Day





I awoke this morning and immediately thought to myself …

“It is a good day to die.” ~Crazy Horse

My eyes watered. My head pounded. I coughed … attempting to hack up a lung. I shivered. Don’t even ask me about the mucus. Sexy picture I paint, isn't it? The snooze alarm on my cell phone beckoned and I hit it … rolling over with the knowledge that I had nine minutes before the bloody thing went off again in a vain attempt to get me out of bed. I slept. Briefly. The alarm went off. Again, I hit the snooze. The mental battles began.

Get out of bed! Yes. No. Yes. No. Yes. No. Yes. No. And, there was victory … temporary. No.

Nine more minutes. STUPID ALARM!!!

Get out of bed! Yes. No. Yes. No. Yes. No. Yes. No. No. No. NO!!! Another short victory.

Nine painfully brief minutes. HELL!!!

Call in sick to work. Yes. No. Yes. No. Yes. No. Yes. NO!!! Damn.

Get out of bed … NOW! No. No. No. Yes. Yes. Yes. No. No. No.

Somewhere in the recesses of my plugged up and fuzzy mind I found the energy to attempt to rally myself … willing my body to face the mental and physical battles of the day. Battle! I am going into battle. I fight for survival (and job security). Thank goodness for the movies (and Tolkien) as these are the words that found their way into my brain:

“I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you STAND, Men of the West!” ~The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Film (2003)

I stood … wobbly, but I stood. I showered. I medicated myself. (Vainly, it would seem, as I am still incredibly miserable.) I dressed. I drove to work. I shall persevere.

Yes, it seemed a good day to die … but it is not this day!!

7 comments:

  1. wow beth, No wonder our kids are nerds!!!!! I had that crap a couple of weeks ago and only survived because I drank a bottle of nyquil a day. Made for a funny des.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much identify with that little battle that rages between one's Id and Superego EVERY single morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I do not identify... two days ago when I was feeling like that, I just remembered that according to my last pay stub, I have used up all of my sick-time. That was all the motivation I needed:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tagged; check out chez moi for details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How was the rest of it? Hope it got better

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your perserverance is admirable but I wonder about the medical safety of your co-workers.
    Or does a singular victory negatively affect the rest?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you're feeling better now Beth and I hope some joy will find it's way to you quickly.... L

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin