Quietude




“Silence is one of the great arts of conversation.” ~Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman Scholar

Hello all! I have missed our chats over the last couple of weeks. Alas, silence on the page (or in the blog) does not translate quite as fluidly as a quiet lull in live conversation between friends. I have oft been accused of being incredibly chatty … always having something to say … excessively talkative. This does not mean that I do not value and appreciate the perfection embodied in a well-timed pause … moments of quietude … stillness … white space. I do.

I treasure silence.

“We need to find God, and He cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass - grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls.” ~Mother Teresa

It is a difficult thing in American society today to find meaningful, peaceful moments of true silence … cell phones, pagers, computers, televisions … planes, trains and automobiles … all contribute to the cacophony of our lives. I miss the abyssal depth and tangible peace that accompanies the purity of silence in the darkness of an African night. I used to sit and absorb the world around me. Silence. Oh, there were sounds in the night … the cry of a bushbaby, the wind’s breath through the trees, beating wings of bats in the starlit sky above, the symphonious crescendo of crickets … for African never sleeps; but there is contentment in the music of nature. It is we who must learn to sit in silence. We can learn much from the world around us and from one another by taking refuge in silence and learning to communicate effectively through the breathing spaces provided by a hushed moment.

“Silence is the universal refuge, the sequel to all dull discourses and all foolish acts, a balm to our every chagrin, as welcome after satiety as after disappointment.” ~Henry David Thoreau, American Poet

Please find time for stillness this day and all that follow.

“There are times when silence has the loudest voice . . .” ~Leroy Brownlow, American Preacher & Author

. . . all you have to do …

. . . is listen!!

7 comments:

  1. I miss your chattiness. I understand about the silence. I usually have a radio on in my office but mike gave me this fountain thing and all I have listened to today is water rushing over stones and my typing. I have felt very relaxed and peaceful today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desiluhu ... Good to know that someone misses my babbling! :o) I miss your random bursts of song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I silently commented on this yesterday... just checking in to see if you saw it;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth,
    I'm glad you blogged. After the bad news about Dewey and the tone of your last post, I was starting to freak out and wonder just how sick you were.
    Your concerned bookworm friend,
    Bybee

    p.s. although I DO understand about how silence is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone with children understands the blessed and beauteous nature of silence. COmplete silence is quite rare, of course. And a little unnerving as we have nothing but ourselves in that place. One good reason to learn to be okay within yourself, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. kk ~ Your silent comment was greatly appreciated.

    bybee ~ Yes, I am back. The hiatus was not intended but it happened anyway. Terrible news about Dewey.

    blazing goddess ~ We must all learn to be content in our own minds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to be reminded to stop and take a moment once and a while. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin