Retrospective


“In this age, which believes that there is a short cut to everything, the greatest lesson to be learned is that the most difficult way is, in the long run, the easiest.” ~Henry Miller, American Author

In looking back over
my post regarding the past year I’ve decided that I really did give 2008 a pretty bad rap. It wasn’t great. That’s the honest truth. But, I did learn a thing or two along the way. It would be quite pitiful, indeed, if I managed to trudge my way through an entire year, good or bad, without any lessons learned. I have always vowed to embrace as much knowledge as I can and to never stop learning. There are far too many individuals walking throughout humanity who already think they know everything without me foolishly throwing myself into that ridiculous category. So, yes, I did learn a few things.

1. My kids are … simply put … awesome. Fine, I knew this already. Yes, I have a bias opinion. I still think I’m lucky. Don’t forget that I was an emotional, ticking, bipolar time-bomb for an enormous portion of 2008. My children lovingly weathered the storm. Awesome. They are awesome.

2. I also learned that, when I know I’m not exactly stable, I am absolutely strong enough to muster up the will-power and sanity to be reasonably level-headed when it comes to my guys. They still come first and that knowledge alone allowed me to protect them from … well, from myself. I may have been emotionally spent and exhausted from working overtime to not completely lose control in their presence but it was worth it. I discovered I could do it.

3. I have phenomenal … hair. Yep, hair! Too bad it spent 90% of 2008 up in a ponytail or a hair clip or … well, just not done right. Oh well.

4. I am intriguing. That exact word was used to describe me by a number of different people last year. Cool! Why? Well …when I graduated from high school the quote I put in the yearbook was: “My job is not to impress people, it’s to intrigue them.” I have stood by that saying for the last sixteen years. I believe the effort has been well worth it.

5. Dunkin’ Donuts Premium Roast Coffee – I know great coffee and this isn’t it. Pull the advertisements from TV already. I shall not be swayed. You want good coffee? Check out:
Guillermo’s Gourmet Grounds. I recommend the ‘Kenya AA’ (duh) or the ‘Malawi’ for the single origin coffees. If you want a wonderfully bold blend go with the ‘Velvet Hammer’ which is just fantastic. Trust me.

6. I absolutely, positively, without a doubt have to get out of town … travel … at least once a year. Going to visit my parents does not count. Traveling on business, though not ideal, is often the only avenue I have … so that is acceptable. Last year I was in Shreveport, LA on business and I ended up in the hotel bar one night with a bunch of celebrity-type individuals (names withheld on purpose) yelling at a football game. It was quite enjoyable even though my days were spent trapped in a convention center. Oh, it’s no secret I have serious wanderlust issues. The funds, however, are lacking so if I have to fill that need, briefly, on the company dime then so be it.

7. ‘The New Kids On The Block’ are actually capable of releasing a single that I … GASP … actually LIKE! Did I just say that? I did. I’m so embarrassed. But, I adored “Summertime” and it shocked me. This Bon Jovi, Skid Row, Guns n’ Roses, AC/DC, Poison loving, black wearing chic absolutely abhorred ‘NKOTB’ back in high school when everyone else my age was running around with jean jackets covered in ‘New Kids’ buttons and paraphernalia. I refuse to mellow out. Excuse me while I go activate the ‘80’s Hair Band’ playlist on my iTunes. Whew! I feel better.

8. I actually enjoy washing dishes … and not with a dishwasher. I am still no domestic goddess, but the dishes – yeah, I’ll do those.

9. It has taken and will continue to take an extensive amount of time for me to become the person I want … or hope … to be.

10. Let’s talk about Wal-Mart for a minute. I absolutely detest Wal-Mart. But, in Arka-diddly-do-hoo, where I live, it’s all we’ve got. I have no choice but to be a patron. What have I learned? Wearing the iPod on my head with the tunes cranked up loud enough to block out all extraneous noise generated by rabid Wal-Mart shoppers almost makes the place tolerable … at least long enough for me to get in and get out as quickly as possible.

11.
Riverfest has landed itself on the annual “must do” list.

12. I have relearned that people are not always what they portray themselves to be. Yes, I have lived on this planet for almost thirty-five years. Occasionally, this one needs to be drilled back into my brain. Sad, but necessary.

13. I am a flirt. I thought I had lost the art. I have not. “Flirting is a woman’s trade, one must keep in practice.” ~Becoming Jane, Film (2007)

14. The capability for me to become unbearably lonely … exists. And, when it does, I must monitor my decisions wisely.

15. Personal glory is something that lasts forever. It’s time for me to stop trying to forget.

16. Sometimes I need a hug … need to be held.

17. Habits can be broken. I should have known this one already since I quit smoking a few years ago. Still, this year I managed to annihilate two habits: 1) chewing on ice & 2) chewing gum. Both seem rather harmless by comparison, but I had an enormous amount of dental work done in 2008 and I don’t want to screw that up.

18. I have become spoiled and can no longer live without DVR (digital video recorder) on my cable/satellite TV. I tried. I cancelled my DVR service for six months and almost went absolutely insane being forced to actually watch commercials during live TV. No more! I have it back now. All is well.

19. Professional massages are so worth it.

And, finally (because I didn’t plan for this list to be this long) …

20. “You learn something every day if you pay attention.” ~Ray LeBlond

What did you learn last year?

6 comments:

  1. my learning doesn't come neatly in Earth years, so I will dodge your question as untimely.

    I'd sooner talk about you, Beth. I think the best way for you to stay sane - you're doing a great job at it anyway - is to remember you're an exile, and keep up the standards.

    re 12: Never thought that you were so young!

    re 8: you have excellent discrimination. Dishwashers are an abomination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. re 18: yes, purpose of recorder is to avoid watching the TV at all. Just record them, then overwrite with more recordings. What we do is not watch any TV but rent DVDs which often include TV series from years ago (English ones, naturally: I am the one who chooses. K being Jamaican has had more exposure to American programs. I don't mind her ordering them, but generally find something better to do whilst they are playing.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned that I need to get out of Korea at least once a year. I also need to break my ice chewing habit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned that sometimes I spread myself too thin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting list....

    lol @ keeping flirting in practice. I think I need to learn..

    You like to wash dishes?? Seriously?? Come live with us..please!

    As for me..sigh, I don't want to think right now

    ReplyDelete
  6. a quick hug from a transient idiot.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin