All I Need To Know, I Learned From Bon Jovi

Obviously, I jest. But, I do heart Bon Jovi. Bands come and bands go. Bon Jovi stays. Is it any wonder that I feel compelled to pay tribute to my favorite band? And, as potential ‘Ode to JBJ’ sonnet has yet to miraculously compose itself, what you get is a list of those things I have learned from the still-rockin’-it-with-no-end-in-sight boys from New Jersey.



  • Telling parents staying at a friend’s house: Little. White. Lie
    Third row seats at Bon Jovi’s ‘New Jersey’ concert: Greatest. Gift. Ever.
    Skid Row (Sebastian Bach. I swoon.) as opening act: I. Remember. You.
    First live concert experience (circa 1990): Absolutely. Positively. Unforgettable.
    Revealing deception to parental units via blog at age of 35: Priceless.

  • Sometimes, in order to find yourself, you have “say goodbye to yesterday,” get on a ‘Lost Highway’ and just drive.

  • I give love a bad name.

  • “I’ve been knocked down so many times. Counted out 6, 7, 8, 9 …," but I’m stronger than I think. “Count me out. Count me in. I’ll be bouncing back again,” and again and again and again.

  • It is acceptable, nay … totally groovy, to do things differently. To go against the grain. To shatter all expectation and to hell with those who don’t like it. Huh? Listen to 'This Left Feels Right' in its entirety and you will understand.

  • I need ‘Something To Believe In.’

  • All I have to do is call. I can’t tell you what number to use though because Jon Bon Jovi’s phone number is not ‘634-5789.’ You won’t reach Richie, David or Tico at this number either … even if you use a New Jersey area code. I know. I’ve tried.

  • ‘7800 Degrees Fahrenheit’ is freaking HOT!!!

  • Despite all my best efforts, I will likely ‘Never Say Goodbye.’

  • ‘Lay Your Hands On Me’ no longer scandalizes my once painfully na├»ve self but sounds pretty damn good.

  • If you dedicate ‘I’ll Be There For You’ to me and proceed to perform it, just you and your acoustic guitar, in front of a group of our peers this yes-this-once-happened-to-me-at-the-age-of-15-self will go out with you and you will have the undeniable privilege of not only being my first kiss, but my first boyfriend as well. [Read: Use of Bon Jovi as wooing material is strongly encouraged.]

  • “Sometimes I sleep. Sometimes it’s not for days.” I’m quite sure this has nothing to do with me being ‘Wanted Dead Or Alive’ but more with my chronic insomnia. That being said, ‘I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead.’

  • My love is like ‘Bad Medicine.’

  • “It's my life. It's now or never. I ain't gonna live forever. I just want to live while I'm alive. My heart is like an open highway. Like Frankie said, ‘I did it my way.’ I just wanna live while I'm alive. It's my life.”

  • I’m a ‘Wildflower’ and it is okay for me to grow by the side of the road. I don’t need to need like the roses and I really am at home with the weeds.

  • “It takes a while to learn to live in your own skin.”

  • When you are playing to win, the best thing you can do is … um, “Raise your hands from New York to Chicago. Raise your hands from New Jersey to Tokyo.” Riiiight.

  • There is always time to stop and smell the … pavement? “It doesn't matter where you are. It doesn't matter where you go … if it's a million miles away or just a mile up the road. Take it in. Take it with you when you go.”

  • I’m not the only one to “dream about movies they won’t make of me when I’m dead.” Good to know I am not alone.

  • Romeo bleeds invisible blood and old dogs kick up feelings. [wink]

  • “Life's a roller coaster ride. The ups and downs will make you scream sometimes.”

  • Robbing a cheesy movie quote that Beth abhors (“You had me at Hello” ~Jerry Maguire, Film 1996) to use in the lyrics is probably the only way Bon Jovi can write a song (‘You Had Me From Hello’) that Beth really, really, really hates.

  • I’m perfect. Oh, and rockers do believe in God. “When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break, remember that you're perfect. God makes no mistakes.”

  • “This world don't give you nothing it can't take away.” [good grammar optional]

  • ‘Everybody’s Broken’ (Indeed!)

  • You can never really go back. Reunions are bittersweet and only “KINDA always like it used to be.” Still, I want to steal a piece of that time and I’m all about making those memories.

  • I’m not old, ‘Just Older.’ “Like a favorite pair of torn blue jeans, this skin I'm in it's alright with me.”

  • I am ‘Complicated’ and, really, when it comes down to it … “you wouldn’t want me any other way.” ‘Tis true, yes?

  • It is not my imagination. Desk jobs are the equivalent of a life in jail. “You spend your life working 9 to 5. It's like doing time.”

  • “There’s no land of Oz.” Thank you, God!

  • Spitting. If you are going to do it “you better mean it.”

  • ‘One Wild Night’ involves “a voodoo mojo brewing at the go-go.” By this definition, I have yet to experience a true wild night. Sad. I’ve got the “mojo” but I am lacking some serious “voodoo” and I have no idea where to find “the go-go.” Help me!

  • Heaven has a back door through which cowboys can ride. Who knew?

  • That place that Bon Jovi sings about in ‘I Love This Town’ is ….. yeah, SO not where I live. No, I live in that damn ‘Two Story Town.’

  • “All tomorrows come from yesterdays.”

  • Hearing a hot man sing ‘If I Was Your Mother’ short circuits delicate brain connector thingies and is not a pleasing-to-the-ear experience regardless of how much you love band and said lead singer.

  • ‘All I Want Is Everything’ (Go figure!)

  • Driving 615 miles from Richmond, VA to Nashville, TN: Worth it.
    Braving fog, snow, sleet and ice covered roads: TOTALLY worth it.
    Floor seats at Bon Jovi’s ‘Bounce’ concert: Double TOTALLY worth it.
    Goo Goo Dolls (John Rzeznik. I swoon.) as opening act: Triple TOTALLY worth it.
    February 14 (Valentine’s Day), 2002: Priceless.

8 comments:

  1. made no sense to me but I take it those were all titles to sabatian bachs or skid bon jovi's songs?
    I could do this with musicals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't make me hurt you. This (playful) argument will not happen again. Jon Bon Jovi = Bon Jovi. Sebastian Bach = Skid Row. They are not the same person, luv. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kept howling "You give love a bad name"..haha...the rest well I don't know..but that song I love!

    You tried calling them?? heehee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed. I am quite sure alcohol and the word "dare" were involved in that decision making process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol at the 18 yr old confession.

    I'd love to see either of the parental unit's comments on this post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Floor seats for "Bounce" at the Sprint coliseum in DC--most precious anniversary gift my husband ever gave me! The band still sends my heart a-flutterin'.

    Came here from Melanie. Always thrilled to find another MK's blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Dori! Welcome! I'm off to check your blog.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin