Top Ten Fictional Places



I stole the following idea from Alexander Field who is new on my blog radar. Of course, he borrowed the concept from someone else who likely borrowed it from yet another person and, well, you get the idea. But, it is right up my “hip geek chic” alley. I must admit, however, that I thought compiling my own list would progress rather quickly and without much fanfare. I was wrong. I have added, deleted, reordered and generally toiled over this little project for several days now. All of that after mentally attempting to compile my list prior to scribbling down my choices. The result? Further proof of my charming nerdiness.


“A setting, deftly portrayed, not only tells us where we are but gives the story a sense of truth, the credibility we speak of as verisimilitude.” ~John Leggett

Please take a journey with me now to The Top Ten Fictional Places I’d Like to Visit:

10. The Home of Mr. Tumnus
Ah, Narnia. I am charmed by the cave where Mr. Tumnus, the Faun, resides. “Lucy thought she had never been in a nicer place. It was a little, dry, clean cave of reddish stone with a carpet on the floor and two little chairs (“one for me and one for a friend,” said Mr. Tumnus) and a table and a dresser and a mantelpiece over the fire and above that a picture of an old Faun with a gray beard. In one corner there was a door which Lucy thought must lead to Mr. Tumnus’s bedroom, and on one wall was a shelf full of books (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe).” I want to sit by the fire, browse through his books, have some tea and listen to tales of the forest of Narnia.

9. Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory 

There is a river... of chocolate.
A RIVER!!!
Any questions?
(Psssst. Beware of the squirrels.)
(PS - I kinda sorta hate this movie version.)





8. The Place Where The Wild Things Are
I have a Wild Thing. He is stuffed, stands about three inches tall and lives on my desk. I can glance at him in the middle of a hectic work day and, if only for a moment, sail “off through night and day, and in and out of weeks, and almost over a year to where the wild things are.” Maurice Sendak is one of my literary heroes and Where The Wild Things Are was my favorite childhood book. It is flawless. And, now, courtesy of Spike Jonze and Warner Brothers I will get to see it come to life. (Update: Hated that movie.)

7. Tatooine
Surprised? You shouldn't be.

With my penchant for warm weather (okay... hot) and awesome sunsets,
it should come as no shock that his would be my number one pick from Star Wars lore.
Not to mention, I find deserts to be stunningly beautiful. I could do without
Jabba's Palace, of course; but, no planet is perfect, right?

It seems to me that I could manage a pretty awesome tan, check out the pod
races at Mos Espa, buy myself my very own R2 unite from the Jawas, groove to some awesome intergalactic tunes at Mos Eisley Cantina and then (and this is the best part) find a perch and soak up the absolute brilliance of a dual sunset.

Awesome.
 


6. Wonderland
 
“We’re all mad here,” sayeth The Cheshire Cat. That’s reason enough for me. Of course, my mental image of the fantasy land where Lewis Carroll sent Alice doesn’t come remotely close to resembling the most popular rendition created by Disney. I picture it far more … twisted; hence, the madness. Not to mention, I’m always game for a really far out tea party.

[Oh! Have you heard? Tim Burton, Johnny Depp and a myriad of absolutely awesome actors will be bringing Alice in Wonderland to the big screen in 2010. Bloody brilliant!] (Update: I hated this movie too.)

5. The Island
There is no choice between “to visit” or “not to visit” The Island from LOST. If I had the chance and I could actually manage to find it without being on a doomed aircraft … I would go. The monumental choice is: When? What year exactly? (This will make sense to you fellow Losties.) I find Dharmaville (circa 1977) to be a rather intriguing place. I could also have an absolute blast in 2004 trudging through the jungle to individual Dharma stations and watching all the orientation videos. Maybe I’ll take two robots with me. Those films are begging for the MST3K treatment. I would also take the time to circumnavigate that sucker.

4. Massec Feur
Go ahead. Google it. I’ll wait. Didn’t find it, did you? (Or, you might have ... with a link to this blog!) It is a fictional place. I promise. You see, I just made it up. I had to find one teeny tiny way to cheat and this is it. “Massec Feur” is an acronym and a pretty damn fine one, if I do say so myself … and I do. It stands for: Most Amazing Space Station Ever Created For Entirely Useless Reasons. Why is it so awesome? Massec Feur transcends time and galaxies and fictional universes. It is a central gathering point for spaceships from all fantasy worlds and, in my mind, it is well utilized. Eventually, all our favorite ships make port here. One vacation to Massec Feur will allow me the opportunity to tour the U.S.S. Enterprise (Star Trek), Serenity (Firefly), Battlestar Galactica, Millennium Falcon (Star Wars), Searcher (Buck Rogers), and Heart of Gold (The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy). Groovy, huh? Admit it. You want to come too.

3. Rivendell, The Refuge of the Elves

I vowed to only include one location from Tolkien's Middle Earth
on this list and the decision was not an easy one. But, in the words
of Sam Gamgee: "... we've been far and seen a deal, and yet I don't
think we've found a better place than this. There's something of
everything here, if you understand me: the Shire and the Golden Wood
and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all
mixed (The Return of the King)."
Indeed. The elves would never let me
in but I would search for that winding path and I would find my own way.
Could there be a more beautiful place to rest?
I would take refuge there at this very moment were it possible. 

2. Hogwarts 
I went to boarding school and I loved it. I would have loved Hogwarts more. I can guarantee you the food is better, the dorms are cooler, and the school subjects are far more interesting. Not to mention, I did not go to school in a sprawling castle with hidden passageways and moving staircases and enchanted ceilings and ghosts and house-elves and an owlery and interactive art … all in Scotland with its very own loch!! Oh, and the piece de resistance: QUIDDITCH!!!!

1. Avalon... and Camelot 
Sue me. I couldn’t pick between the two. I’m quite sure my love of all things Arthurian began with Disney’s ‘The Sword and the Stone’ (1963). It wasn’t long before I discovered books on the subject. I read Mary Stewart’s The Crystal Cave somewhere around the age of ten. Actually, I didn’t merely read it. I devoured it and the rest of the series. That was the beginning of the mania. Movies, books, online articles, History Channel specials … I love them all. I am quite enamored with King Arthur and his knights. I sit in my living room as I type this and I can see six different series or individual books on this subject from my couch. I’m going to shut up now before this paragraph turns into a thesis.


And, I am done. I know that I technically listed more than ten, but this is my list and I reserve the right to warp things as I see fit. In fact, I am still so torn over some decisions that I bring you those that came close. Some of them were even on this list at some point.


Honorable Mentions: Robin Hood’s Hideout in Sherwood Forest, Fraggle Rock, Gilder, Wayne Manor, Landover, Hyrule, Vulcan, Neverland, Edoras, & Atlantis. If none of those places are familiar to you, feel free to look them up.

What about you? Is there a list of fictional places you would thoroughly enjoy visiting?

13 comments:

  1. This is a really great idea for a top ten list. Rivendale would be my #1, I've always imagined what it would be like to visit the Tolkien world. I thought that the movie did a good job in creating a realistic visual of it. You can post this to our site http://www.toptentopten.com/ and then link back to your site. We are looking for top ten lists and our users can track back to your site. The coolest feature is you can let other people vote on the rankings of your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Shire would definitely be my number one (though I'd be soon branded a pariah for being non-conformist) followed by Narnia.

    I seem to have a yearning for the pastoral and the bucolic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, yeah, okay, I'm impressed. Tatooine is a brilliant stroke, as is Wonka's Chocolate Factory, and of course, Rivendell is a fantastic choice, and Hogwarts would be amazing (I really would want to play Quidditch!). But alright now, "Massec Feur" is genius. MASSEC FEUR? Where in the hell did that come from? I have no idea, but oh my god you got Serenity in there (how did I miss that one!). Sign me up for the next flight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vincetastic ~ Thanks for the visit and the link. I do love a good Top 10 List. I'll pop by for a visit later this evening

    Mo ~ I think I would enjoy the Shire as well. Who wouldn't with that much food, beer and pipe weed floating about?

    Alexander ~ I am SO GLAD someone else appreciates Massec Feur!! I do have my moments. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Love this list! probably will create one of my own one of these days..and yes it will have Hogwarts, Narnia...and (drum roll please)....Middle Earth...now you made me want to read and watch them.

    Oohh..Malory Towers (Enid Blyton she rocks!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. val ~ I haven't read the Malory Towers books. Am I missing out? I'm always up for new reads. Let me know if you post your own list. I'd love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK first of all? You are a TOTAL NERD! LOL! I love it! I think my face might have cracked for how big I was smiling through this post. Fully half of your list is identical to mine. Nevertheless, I am going to make an answer to your final question. (linking to you, of course) It's right up my ally! You're sensational.

    ps... I love your new profile picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melain ~ Embrace the nerdiness!!!! Let me know when your list is up. Your running commentary on such things is always fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, fun! One of my choices would be Walden Two.

    ReplyDelete
  10. musing ~ Interesting choice! I could do a short visit, but I could never live there. Too few people. Then again ... 4 hour work days are quite appealing. PS: LOVING THE NEW SITE!!!!! You hit a home run with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Truly an impressive post! I wish my brain were working well enough today for a great suggestion of my own.

    I'm sorry but I've screwed up and deleted your comment (grey gardens) by accident(not feeling great today) - I think you would really like the documentary - it's quite unique. I got a copy from my library. L

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful. I have some thoughts myself but you hit several of my top ten, including that wondrous space station :)

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin