Awakening


Back in 2002, when I had a somewhat important job in Corporate America, my company moved from old rented offices into our own state-of-the-art building. Smoothly moving an entire corporation from Point A to Point B, even within the same city, can be a daunting venture so the powers that be (CEO & friends) decided every employee needed to attend the Who Moved My Cheese seminar on effectively dealing with change. (You can find the movie on YouTube if you’re really curious.)

I get it. Some people don’t like change and it freaks them out. Others may not like it, but they deal with the situation as best they can. Me? I love change. I thrive off change. I crave change. In fact, ten minutes into my mandated “dealing with change” seminar … they kicked me out of the class (because I was a mite bit excited) and told me to go back to work. “Yes, I would be fine with the transition,” they said. No shit.

Today, life is stagnate. It’s killing me.

“A person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.” ~Dune (1981)

9 comments:

  1. I. Love. Change. Just don't rearrange my living room. Or bedroom. But moving? Love it. Job change? Love. It. I thrive on it. Think it's the TCK element? Love it or die?

    Soooo...where ya moving to? Whatcha got going on in that head? East Coast is purdy...a little bit too much on the conservative side for me, but I manage. And pissing people off with my liberal opinions and hippy self is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dori ~ HA! I move my furniture when I need to feel like I'm living someplace new. It's the little things. I've done the East Coast. I don't know right now. I am waking, but I am still groggy. Baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strangely, I have been talking a lot to people about change recently. It seems to be programmed into the human psyche to resist change at all costs, that change is bad and should never be allowed to occur with ywilling participation. I embrace change. Always have, which is perhaps why I have never settled. It is the breathing in and breating out. Without change everything stops and everything dies

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Without change everything stops and everything dies." INDEED!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get this... if we stop moving, we drown.

    I'm drowning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Finn ~ Exactly. I'm going down with you, luv. So ... we need some life boats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My place of work changed ownership several months ago and some employees were having a hard time adjusting to the new m.o. and pretty much digging their heels in.

    We also had a 'managing change' training a week or so ago and, man, the bile that came out during that training-cum-therapy session! Our HR Director decided to sit in on the training and by the end, I felt pretty sorry for the poor guy. SO WHAT if this is how you've been collating your sales reports for the last 7 years or that's how the shifts roster was previously drawn up? Get with the newer, more efficient methods or STEP.

    Me, I love change just like you. I believe it is the 'P/J' parameter in MBTI that dictates receptiveness to change whereby most Ps love spontaneity and dealing with situations as they arise (literally flying by the seats of their pants) while most Js prefer a continuity in how they do things and their set, rigid, detailed plans/routines tend to be thrown off balance by the unexpected and they find it harder getting used to change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mo ~ Why is it manager changes in the hospitality industry always seem more traumatic for people? It's a mystery. Change is GOOD. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you. I'm so tired of my 8-5 job where every day I do the same things I've done for the last six years. I miss my stay-at-home mom life where every day was different from the one before it.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin