Passport Envy


Holiday revelation: My mother renewed her passport. Why? My father has been jaunting back and forth between Missouri and Senegal on various mission trips for the last two years. My mother, on the other hand, has been quite content, after 25 years of bouncing back and forth every four years between Kenya & USA, to burrow into her retirement nest and stay there… forever. The fact that she let her passport expire is proof positive that she intended to remain happily behind during all of dad’s trips. Alas! No more. If all works out as expected then my mother will be on an airplane with my father on their way to West Africa in late January.

I am 35 years old and I feel like an abandoned child. Retarded and juvenile, I know. Damn it.

My passport expired in 2004. I cried… not because I couldn’t renew it, but because I knew there would be no need. And, quite obviously, I was right. Six years later and I haven’t needed it. I never get to go anywhere. Even if opportunity were to present itself… the money gods would have a right raucous laugh at my expense. Bastards.

Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe. ~Anatole France

I am in desperate need of a good wander.

7 comments:

  1. It it helps, I saw this from your post, "Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe," and went on a wander in search of Anatole France!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better an expired full passport than an up to date empty one...maybe. I renewed mine just after my last trip--9 years ago and the pages are just as blank and pristine as the day it came in the mail. How freakin' depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe if you renew the passport, travel will come to you...like a self-fulfilling prophecy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and me both, sister. A good wander sounds beautiful right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth ~ If I provided an avenue for new discovery then that is sincerely awesome. Love it!

    Dori ~ Uh... yeah, babe. I'm not going to lie. That is uber depressing.

    Hamber ~ The Field of Dreams Theory, eh? Hmmmmm?

    Finn ~ Where are we going?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the feeling. Mine expired in 2008 and for the first time in my life (I was born overseas) I don't have a valid one.

    However, my brother and I were just talking the other day about going on Amazing Race so that's as good an excuse as any to replace it even if I end up not using it soon. :)

    BTW, you should renew it, just in case. The only thing worse would be something to come up where you needed your passport right away and not have one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eric ~ Amazing Race would be so cool. I've been meaning to renew it... and get passports for my boys just in case.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin