Opening the Pod Bay Doors


It’s no secret that I have a love affair with science fiction. The writers and directors of sci-fi strive for it to be a wholly immersive experience and I, on behalf of the readers/viewers, fully appreciate the effort these artists make in order to whisk us away to someplace new. I have learned a few things too. Someday technology will get the upper hand and we’ll all be screwed (2001: A Space Odyssey, Terminator, Battlestar Galactica, The Matrix, etc.). “Resistance is futile.” “The truth is out there.” “Never give up. Never surrender.” Dinosaurs can be cloned. What? You don’t believe me? “I find your lack of faith disturbing.” Sawyer is my constant.

Science Fiction opens the pod bay doors of imagination. It gives us a peek of what could be or hope that the impossible is, in fact, possible.

If I had a time machine…
I would take a jolly jaunt back to 1992 and pay myself a visit. My life was pretty darn idyllic until I took over making major decisions. “Oy!” I’d say to me, “You’re bipolar. I know you don’t know what the hell that means, but get yourself some meds before you do anything. Nothing. Trust me, don’t do anything without them!” Brutal honesty always has worked best.

If I could Jedi mind trick anyone…
I have wished for years now that I had the ability to use mind tricks on my children. We humans have a form of Jedi mind trick. It’s called reverse psychology but it only works for a couple of years… depending on the smarts of the child(ren) and, well, mine are smarter than me. How awesome would it be to avoid the toddler checkout lane temper tantrum? “This is not the candy you are looking for!” More relevant for me today would be, “You want to do your homework. Move along.”

If Scotty could beam me anywhere…
I would gladly let him dismantle my molecules (or whatever) and reassemble me on the other side of the globe. In Kenya. Did you really expect a different answer?

If I met an alien face to face…
I would hope it was any alien except E.T. because I would know what to do with the rest of them. I think. Some are worth having a chat or building a friendship. Vulcans come to mind. Others need to have their bug butts annihilated. Starship Troopers, anyone? But E.T.? He’s an ugly little scary bastard. Do you know what happened 14 years after E.T. left? Independence Day. Coincidence? I think not.

If I were an alien…
Despite my general aversion to the color blue, I want to be a member of the Na’vi and live on
Pandora. To be completely in tune with one’s planet would be most excellent.

If I could hitchhike through the galaxy…
Serenity would be the vessel I would most like to inhabit on my journey. Oh yeah. She’s an awesome ship and she has the hottest of hot space cowboy captains. There you have it.

If I were to consume/inhale/inject a sci-fi drug…
How do you feel about intense blue eyes? Despite that I have never experimented with drugs (It’s true.), I might consider giving
the spice a try. I could do with have my mind expanded and my senses made keener. Seeing as I will probably never be bitten by a radioactive spider, this seems like a good alternative. Then again, one side effect is supposed to be weight gain and, well, my crazy pills already have that covered.

If I could take a Stargate to any planet…
I like to be warm. In truth, I prefer to be very warm. Hot even. Is it bizarre that I have always held a fascination for the desert planet
Tatooine? The sunsets alone seem worth it. I used to want to live there but then I realized, at some point, I really would miss trees. This is not a new revelation. I have mentioned it before.

If I could dive the depths of the oceans…
Put me on
seaQuest and leave me there.

If I could have a weapon of the future…
I need a blaster (or a phaser). As beautiful and awesome as lightsabers are… they require more up close and personal hand to hand combat. Nope. Not for me. Just give me something I can shoot and “may the force be with you.”

What can sci-fi do for you? Me? “I aim to misbehave.”

“If it is my delusion, who the hell invited you?” ~Total Recall (1990)

9 comments:

  1. ...and in space, no one can hear you scream, which on a purely therapeutic level, has to count for something. Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I've never taken any drugs, but I'd have a go at the Agony.... if only because I'm the sort of person who'd need to prove I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the hottest space cowboy captain, indeed!
    and now I've got eon's the spice must flow in my head.. "he who controls the spice, controls the universe." :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard the Vogon planet is pretty warm. Despite all the spatulas that pop up and hit you in the face whenever you have an idea...uh, on second thought, neither you nor I would last a minute there... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trekkies have it all wrong. Resistance is FERTILE. ;D

    The sticky spots, the ones with emotional velcro, they have potential. They are the long distance sensors or the fuzzy logic of hindsight before experience proves a point. Yes, I just said that fuzzy hinders can have brainz.

    So far this sounds smart (or at least ingteresting,) so I'm going to leave now. I haven't written tomorrow's QuoteSnack post yet. Must save some brainz for later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reade ~ Good one! Thanks.

    Rachel ~ I don't know the Agony... or it isn't ringing any bells. What's it from?

    sm8del ~ Two words: 1)Nathan 2)Fillion

    John ~ Smacked SENSELESS. We would be bludgeoned quite profusely.

    Elizabeth ~ Smart & interesting, my dear. I do hope you kept some smarts for your post today. I love them so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jedi mind trick would be useful. All the time. Hmmmm. I would definitely use my power for evil ;-)

    Also - BAM! You're tagged! Check out my latest entry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrea ~ Very nice. I'll get to it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know and love every single one of those shows. I began my love affair with sci-fi (ona conscious, chosen level. I don't count Star Wars. That's pre-natal conditioning) with the TV show 'Misfits of Science'. Johnny Electric, the gil witht he telekinetic powers, the guy who could shrink when he pushed the right spot on the back of his head....sigh... I miss that show. Even if it was classic cornball 80's!

    Fave exchange:"We dont' have time to discuss this in committee!"
    "I am NOT a COMMITTEE!!"

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin