Only Elephants Should Wear Ivory

“The growing demand for ivory has lead to skyrocketing rates of illegal poaching, and unless ivory sales are permanently banned, elephants are likely to go extinct. In fact, Kenyan Wildlife Authorities recently seized $1 million worth of elephant tusks bound for ivory markets in Asia. Please sign this petition today to call for a permanent, total ban on ivory sales to save elephants and rhinos!”

Do you know what this is? Probably not. I apologize for the poor picture quality.


It’s a bracelet. It’s made of ivory. And it is… In. My. House. Hypocritical? Not so much. You see, this bracelet was a gift from parents many many many moons ago when the sale of ivory was still legal in Tanzania. And, since about 11 or 12, once I was of an age to have an opinion on the matter, this bracelet has not graced my wrist. I will also never sell it. I’m not sentimental to the point of thinking it would hurt the feelings of my parents. They know how I feel. Simply put, I don’t want anyone else to have the opportunity to buy it. As long as the sale of ivory remains legal in any form and in any part of our planet then the majestic elephant will be in perpetual danger. That, my friends, is not acceptable. Scenes like this are not acceptable. Memo to African governments: Culling is not acceptable. Yes, the other solutions are far more expensive… but isn’t the preservation of your tourism income worth it?

I could write about this for pages and pages, but I am only one person. Guess what? You are one person. One plus one can equal thousands... millions... and we can make a difference. I just signed a petition to help save elephants from extinction by permanently banning the sale of ivory.

Please add your name today!
Pssst. That's a link. Click it!

Once you sign the petition you will be given the option to share your decision on Facebook or Twitter. I grew up sharing my childhood with the African elephant. I want my children to be able to go back to Kenya with me and experience elephants in the wild.

“The question is: Are we happy to suppose that our grandchildren may never be able to see an elephant except in a picture book?” ~David Attenborough


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post, Beth. I know it isn't easy to talk about.

    You have a beautiful bracelet but, as you have rightly decided, it just isn't right to wear it anymore. I have a friend who was given a wonderful pair of earrings that belonged to royalty in Africa. She also won't wear them. In fact, they are packed away, and she doesn't even take them out to show anyone. I've never seen them, and frankly I don't need to.

    I probably have a few ivory items packed away that belonged to my late mother. It was a different time when she acquired them, but now I don't even want to look for them.

    The thought of elephants being driven to extinction in the wild because of human conflict and for trinkets is devastating. I too hope that you can take your kids to see elephants the way you remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't easy for me. I've bottle fed the orphaned elephants at the orphanage outside of Nairobi. Heartbreaking. I actually had to go dig for that bracelet. Like your friend... I had stored it away and I wasn't sure where to find it. And, now I intend to "lose" it again in the apartment.

    Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you coming by... and for the retweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could have done without that first link. I knew I shouldn't have clicked, but curiousity got the better of me.

    I love animals, at times, I think more than people. This makes me ill. And it makes me cry.

    Petition signed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finn ~ I know, but I felt the link needed to be there. MWAH! for the signing.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin