Once More, with Attitude


Photo from weheartit


“It didn’t matter that he was clapping off time, it didn’t matter that no instruments were being played, all that mattered was the attitude of the song.” ~It Might Get Loud, Film (2008)

Big K, the teenager, the music obsessed one (naturally), approached me this week and asked me about my theme song. Huh? “If you could have any song play automatically when you walk into a room, what would it be?” he asked. Cue chirping crickets.

I inquired about his theme song. He has one. Of course. His is 'I’m Still Here' by Johnny Rzeznik (lead singer for The Goo Goo Dolls) from the ‘Treasure Planet’ soundtrack.





Lyric snippet:
And how can the world want me to change
They're the ones that stay the same
They can't see me
But I'm still here

Yes, he knows who he is… or he is on the right path to becoming a man of whom I will be proud. There are days I want to kill him but that is only because we are so unbelievably similar and yet so bizarrely different at the same time. After all, he is still a teenager… and a particularly moody one at that. Point being…

I still haven’t answered his question.

I wish I could ask a former U.S. president what it feels like to have “Hail to the Chief” played before every public appearance. That crap has got to get annoying and, yet... simultaneously activate the cocky little “Oh yeaaaaah… I’m the president” voice in one’s head.

A personal song should give its host the
chutzpah to confidently enter any situation... like that awesome (read: super sexy) entrance Aragorn makes through the double doors of the great hall in the fortress at Helm’s Deep in 'The Lord of the Rings' (still one movie, people). Or… the arrival of the “Count” via hot air balloon amidst fireworks in 'The Count of Monte Cristo'. Or… Han Solo dropping the Millennium Falcon into the battle to destroy the Death Star with a big “YAHOOOO!” in 'Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope' and saving the day. A personal theme needs to have that sort of powerful impact… that attitude… even if the only person who can "hear the music" is the person to whom the song applies.

I simply don’t know. There is a modified lyric from Secondhand Serenade’s ‘Fall For You’ that I’ve adopted: “Because a girl like me is impossible to find”. Still, I likely won’t be hearing the entire song play in my noggin’ when I enter a room. I am also auto-wired to pick something out of the Bon Jovi discography. That being said… I think the possibility is there that I don’t find myself qualified to pick my own theme song. Perhaps someone else should do it for me.

What say you? What would you pick for my personal theme song?
(Note: The first person to say ‘Beth’ by Kiss will receive a virtual slap upside the back of the head… even though I love that song.)


PS - Oh! Do you have a personal theme song? Please share!


5 comments:

  1. For you, Lady Beth...the obligatory Bon Jovi..."Living On A Prayer".

    For myself...Bruce Springsteen (because I just gave you my Bon Jovi song)..."Tougher Than The Rest".

    But, truthfully, I don't think I can really pin it down to just one. There are so many different parts of me--each bit needs its own theme song. Maybe my song isn't written yet...maybe I'm writing it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or...we can share "Ballad of Serenity"...it is epic enough that Mr. Whedon can share it with us...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost... ALMOST went ahead and picked 'Ballad of Serenity' AND I thought about 'Living on a Prayer'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably have several... and I can't think of one right now! Maybe "Amazing Grace" by Jars of Clay (which you've probably not even heard of). My co-worker thinks of me when she hears "Wildflower" by Skylark.

    For you... I'd have to think on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, but I do know Jars of Clay. I love their version of "I Need Thee Every Hour". I do not know "Wildflower" though... off to listen now.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin