Sanctuary


“Scuba diving is sensual. To breathe underwater is one of the most fascinating and peculiar sensations imaginable. Breathing becomes a rhythmic melody of inhalations and exhalations. The cracks and pops of fish and crustaceans harmonize with the rhythmic chiming of the bubbles as you exhale. Soon, lungs act as bellows, controlling your buoyancy as you achieve weightlessness. And, as in your dreams, you are flying. Combine these otherworldly stimuli and you surrender completely to the sanctuary of the underwater world.” ~Tec Clark, Karen Berger's Scuba Diving

I haven’t been scuba diving in more moons than I care to count. In fact, I probably couldn’t find my old
PADI license even if searched my apartment from top to bottom. That’s one piece of plastic that is long gone. I wish recertification was an option for me but, quite obviously, I have no opportunity to go scuba diving (I will not dive in this lake on which I work. That is for oceans.) and the whole experience would be a giant misappropriation of household funds. Sigh. I miss it.

I have listened to the echo of my voice within the splendor of Notre Dame Cathedral. I have admired Michelangelo’s ‘David’ and I have stood in the Louvre looking the Mona Lisa in the eyes and smiling back at her slyly. I have witnessed the great wildebeest migration, gasped at the majesty of a thunderstorm rolling across the Serengeti and felt the waters at the source of the Nile swirl around my ankles. I have also walked the shores of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Oceans; but there is absolutely nothing on the surface of this planet… of natural origin nor created by man… to compare to that which goes on beneath the waves of the ocean.

The ocean can be a place of unbridled violence but, for me, there was only tranquility and beauty. Every time I descended into her depths… the voices left my head… the salt water caressed my skin, bearing away the weight of my world and then, when the land had been all but forgotten, the ocean welcomed me, most intimately, as one of her lovers and I was free.

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful and well written piece Beth. I happened to read it while listening to Chopin's Nocturne No. 20 and it fit perfectly. It's amazing that you've been able to do all those things and I hope it won't be too many more years before you can add to that extraordinary list.

    Lis

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin