Giving Thanks, Part One


“Thanksgiving was never meant to be shut up in a single day.” ~Robert Caspar Lintner

Traditionally, I’m not a fan of Thanksgiving Day. I simply have a problem with the concept as a whole and feel that our society should not NEED a reminder to be thankful but once a year. I know. I know. It is what it is. Don’t judge.

This year, however, instead of complaining about the holiday, I will be counting my blessings. I have received a lot of them this year and I am full to the brim with gratitude. I have given my thanks to people and to God but, somehow, it never seems to be enough. I don’t know if the extent of my thankfulness truly shows. Is my sincerity known?

Welcome to part one of my seven days of giving thanks.


Red Five is my car. The name comes from Star Wars: “This is Red Five, I’m going in!” She sports a Star Wars air freshener, a ‘Come to the Darkside… we have cookies.’ bumper sticker, a Rebel Alliance decal and, hopefully very soon (upon next tag renewal), a personalized “REDFIVE” license plate. Go ahead… laugh… snicker… call me a nerd. I can’t hear you. And, even if I could hear you, I don’t particularly care what you think. [Psssst. I am a nerd.]

Red Five doesn’t look like an X-wing fighter... unless maybe its wings have been clipped in battle. She’s pretty darn old to most people. To me, she is new and she is beautiful.

One year ago I was driving around town in an old Nissan single-cab pickup truck. It was absolutely NOT comfortable for me and two no-longer-little-tykes boys. Just ask Little K who had to scrunch up near to, or straddle, the gear shift whenever we had to go somewhere. We tried to avoid having all three of us in the vehicle at the same time which left us often isolated at home. It was not an ideal situation. Who am I kidding? We hated it. But, my financial situation being what it is, purchasing a vehicle, used or not, simply was not an option.

In January 2010 my parents came for a visit and with them came Red Five. A gift... purchased from a classified advertisement. No strings attached. Yes, I cried. A lot. In a town with little to offer in regard to entertainment and attractions, Red Five gave me and my boys our freedom back.

I give thanks to my parents for their love. I give thanks for their generosity. I give thanks to My Father for providing my parents with the means to help fulfill a need I could not have filled on my own. I give thanks for Red Five.

2 comments:

  1. This was very moving, Beth. It reminds me to give thanks for a similar reason.

    When the car I'd had from new finally died from old age after 16 years, the workshop owner gave me one as a stopgap for a mere £100, a price so low I called it the Gift Horse. It only let us down once, when a fuse worked loose: easily fixed but it was a sign of old age. My sister told me to trade it in for a new one, and gave me a generous sum towards it. The Government were offering to buy old cars for £2000 - a "scrappage scheme" to boost industry during the recession, with help from government & family I got my new car at little more than half price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very moving story, one which I can relate to on a very personal level.

    I was gifted a car by my Grandparents and drove it until some idiot decided to hit me. The car was just 3,000 miles of my having driven it 100,000 miles...and it was still in good running shape.

    I am thankful with you...

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin