Giving Thanks, Part Six


Holding Hands, Forever © staffh


“The greatest sweetener of human life is Friendship. To raise this to the highest pitch of enjoyment, is a secret which but few discover.” ~Joseph Addison


I don’t have many friends. Truth. Acquaintances abound but solid friendships are rare for me. There are even a few of those regular acquaintances who are under the misguided impression that we are close friends but, with a most of them, everything is superficial. Discussing movies, office gossip or the weather does not a friend make. It’s a foundation but not a true friendship. Facebook would like you to believe I have 346 “friends”. Pfffffffft. Yeah, okay. Don’t get me wrong... I purge my friend list pretty regularly. I actually know all those people but the number of people who would fit into my circle of camaraderie is not so big and the number of those who fall deeper into the inner circle is far, far, far fewer.

My close friends are those who can tell when something is bothering me despite my highly tuned “Everything is happy here!” customer service hospitality face… whether they are in the room with me or thousands of miles away. I received flowers one time from a friend in Dubai who knew I needed a pick-me-up. Another time flowers came from a friend in Montreal. A card here. An email there. These are things that matter. These are people with whom I share a bond that, despite rough times and regular neglect, can never be broken. Stretched? Sure. And yet, friendship lasts.

It’s shocking to most people but there are a number of these individuals for whom I would travel to hell and back (and they for me) that I haven’t spoken to verbally in years. Then again, words are not necessary between soul mates.

One phone call. That’s all it would take if I needed any of them.
One phone call. That’s all it would take if any of them needed me.

And, while I wish many of them lived closer to me, capable of being a sometimes more hands-on support system, I take comfort in knowing they are there for me.

To those friends I say, “Thank you!” I give you thanks for putting up with me. I give you thanks for never giving up on me. I give you thanks for being you.


PS – I’m also super thankful for Cheetos®, but I think we should commission an independent study to find out if they are laced with cocaine. Somebody get on that.

1 comment:

  1. Right back atcha, chica! Ninakupenda dada yangu katika mama ingine

    (Heh...I think I just broke spellcheck)

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin