King Laugh Finds A Queen

El Morocco by Garry Winogrand
©
The Metropolitan Museum of Art

"Yet even at such a moment King Laugh he come to me and shout and bellow in my ear,`Here I am! Here I am!' till the blood come dance back and bring some of the sunshine that he carry with him to my cheek… It is a strange world, a sad world, a world full of miseries, and woes, and troubles. And yet when King Laugh come, he make them all dance to the tune he play." ~Bram Stoker, Dracula

Earlier this week, while in a meeting, I found the words of someone immensely amusing. Later that day a coworker came to let me know she could hear me laughing from the meeting. That isn’t necessarily strange. I laugh loudly. To say that my voice “carries” is quite the understatement. Of course, when she heard me, she was on the second floor of our building… and I was on the third.

Laughter is my dance. It is my joy. My life is more than often strange, sad and full of various miseries. It is the art of laughing that makes everything bearable. Lucky for me, I have positively hilarious and witty children. I also have some coworkers with riotous senses of humor. I am surrounded by the funny. I laugh loudly. I laugh often. So what if my laugh is raucous? It is real. Genuine. And, it is a sign that, at that moment, regardless of what may be weighing on my mind, King Laugh can make me dance… and, for a time, I am his queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin