The Bars Aren't Even Gilded

Photo © Razorclock

“What do you fear, lady?” he asked.
“A cage,” she said. “To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
~J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King


December 22 – Travel
How did you travel in 2010? How and/or where would you like to travel next year? (Author:
Tara Hunt) [The #reverb10 project.]


I have major wanderlust. Let me elaborate: I have major unrequited-for-most-of-my-adult-life wanderlust. It is what it is.

Where did I travel in 2010?
I didn’t.

Where will I travel in 2011?
I won’t.

There was supposed to be
this little trip but it isn’t happening. The circumstances surrounding why it’s a “no go” are good for the friend who initially invited me to tag along so, while I’m agonizingly disappointed, I can’t summon up an ounce of bitterness.

I have a plan to try and take my boys to Florida this summer, but unless someone finds a way to squeeze more blood out of a turnip…

I miss new cultures. I miss museums.
I miss airports. I miss discovery.
Most of all…

I miss Africa.

Hell, I can’t even watch The Discovery Channel or The Travel Channel without crying anymore. Why? Because, as I stare at the world through the bars of this cage of consequences, I know exactly what I am missing, that’s why.

The caged lioness… she is not as indifferent as she seems.

6 comments:

  1. Travel is one of those things that leaves open a lot of possibilities in terms of getting creative (ie: travel on the cheap). Don't count it out for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when i have the itch to travel and can't, i have a few ways to satisfy it (for the moment)...
    1. check out free museum days in your home town (or the city close by), yes sometimes they are mid-week (hard for working, but sometimes the itch is bad)
    2. there's an italian restaurant that i only go to when i desire to travel and pretend i'm sitting in italy. I know that sounds crazy, but a good imagination and a book help. that and i only go when i long for italy.
    3. draw out what i want to see. this one might be fun for the whole fam. what they think africa would look like or what you remember it to look like. i often draw hawaii, the ocean water, the mountains, and the trees.

    just thought i'd share.. from one wanderlust to another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honest...wow.

    Does travel have to be out of the country? There is usually interesting stuff within 50 miles of home most people never see. We're trying to do more of that as we go along...

    ReplyDelete
  4. am only observing that 'tis the season' -- dunno which season since am in the peculiar Southern hemisphere. However: Seasons Greetings; may you and yours achieve PEACE, happiness and tranquility
    (if you desire it)

    Cheers and best wishes, whatever,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I so get this. I'm not meant to be in one place for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It saddens me that you are unable to fulfill your dreams to travel. I hope that someday things change for you, Beth.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin