Cue That Song From Rent, But Not Really


“When a defining moment comes along, either you define the moment or the moment defines you.” ~Tin Cup, Film (1996)

December 29 – Defining Moment
Describe a defining moment or series of events that has affected your life this year. (Author:
Kathryn Fitzmaurice) [The #reverb10 project.]


In 2010 I allowed far too many moments… circumstances… random happenstances… to define me and not the me I want to be. And so, for me, the “define your great moment” of the year subject has become far too tedious.

A year.
Twelve months.
Three hundred sixty five days.
8,765.81277 hours.
525,948.766 minutes. (See? There it is.
The song. Sort of. They cheated.)
One standard year.

How many “defining moment” opportunities is that? Countless. Yet, I have less than I can count on one hand and those have been regurgitated here in full… somewhere… in some month… sometimes twice. I have milked them dry. Clinging. I’m finished.

I shall now make every effort to remember the mundane. To bask in the moments I have forgotten. To focus on every moment for every moment is defining.

Remove any one second or minute or hour or day from 2010 and I would not be the woman I am now. The woman who is stepping into 2011. Despite everything, even the “terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days”, I find that unacceptable.

Listen to Mr. Dickens for he “speaks” with timeless wisdom:
“That was a memorable day to me, for it made great changes in me. But, it is the same with any life. Imagine one selected day struck out of it, and think how different its course would have been. Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day.” ~Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

7 comments:

  1. Ah, Great Expectations! Great post, Beth. I nodded with every word written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree I agree I agree. This isn't even a prompt that could be accidentally mistaken for another. It is day three almost verbatim. I mean, really? Again with the moment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, I love me some Dickens and 'Great Expectations' is a wonderful book.

    That quote at the beginning took me by surprise, as I had forgotten it. But the little moments do add up, cumulatively.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Now THAT was a defining moment!"

    And you quoted my most favorite book. Ever! Alexander and I are like *that*.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a quote fixation as well. I have to make some use of those English degrees. Also I'm from Arkansas, and not ignorant. But then I lived in San Francisco for years so I have some perspective.
    But yes,I'm wondering if there is moment you can remove and hold it up to say "THERE it is."
    I'll be back to read you again. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shall now make every effort to remember the mundane. Interesting quote.

    (tends to happen with age - )

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Shannon ~ Thanks, babe. I am so enjoying getting to know you.
    @Jason ~ Yeah, I know...
    @Mark ~ You can always count on me for a sports movie quote. ;) Yes, the small moments do count for something.
    @Dori ~ A good moment, indeed. I did not know this about your love for Great Expectations!!
    @JyllianM ~ Great to meet you! I'm going to virtually come around for a visit. :)
    @Davo ~ Aaaand... I get older every year.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin