Distant Whistling Reminder

The Night Train © Joep R.

“A train has a poor memory; it soon puts all behind it.” ~Ray Bradbury

December 15 – 5 Minutes
Imagine you will completely lose your memory of 2010 in five minutes. Set an alarm for five minutes and capture the things you most want to remember about 2010. (Author:
Patti Digh) [The #reverb10 project.]

Have you ever realized how massive the gap is between what you want to remember about any given period in your life and what you actually recall when a year… two… or fifty have passed? The bad. It sure does make a super strong impression. Memorable. The good, however, is often wildly euphoric and such feelings are quite transitory in nature. They come. They go. They are forgotten regardless of every effort made to retain them. Ah, humanity.

Tangent Alert!
Does anyone really need to imagine losing their memory in five minutes. All it takes is 0.032 seconds and mine is gone, babe. Gone.
End Tangent.
(Huh? Short one, that tangent. I must have forgotten what to say.)

So, what is it that I want to remember about 2010? Cue timer!

I want to remember…

… exactly how I felt the moment I realized my opinion of Big K’s singing talent had transitioned from good to gifted while sitting in the audience for ‘The Wizard of Oz’ musical at the high school. He was the Tin Man and had obviously been holding back during practice time at home.

... the year Little K started attaching himself to my hip every time I stepped foot in the kitchen. What is this spice? What does this do? What does that smell like? Can I help?

… learning how to sleep again.

… God throwing me a bone to remind me that He’s still here and I still matter.

… Muse!

… beginning to dig out of the rubble.

… adult conversations with a high school friend where petty judgment and life comparisons were finally replaced by compassion and understanding and renewed camaraderie.

… introducing The Teen to all things Joss Whedon.

… mastering Reminiscence without that damn parasite Regret coming along for the ride.

… when the new boss’s boss’s boss acknowledged my value as an employee, pulled me in on a project and then showed my work to his boss and his boss’s boss.

… the blessings.

… what it feels like to be my largest size to date because I’m going to lose the weight and this shit is never going to happen ever again.

… rediscovering the freedom of digging in the dirt.

… LOST. (Trivial but no less true.)

… that getting one’s hopes up often occurs far too soon. Humans are all fallible. If it was too good to be true… Inevitably, the let down is going to come.

… realizing that I too need hugs.

Ding! Sort of. I went over by about 30 seconds. What are you going to do? Send me to #reverb10 jail? Nooooooo. I thought I would actually get a couple more into the mix before time ran out. Good to know my super awesome ninja typing skills have performance anxiety issues.

And, so it goes… 2010 rumbling down the tracks.

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic- I posted much the same theme. My memory is horrible and it was nice to spend some time working on recollecting the GOOD>

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was either this or rewriting lyrics to "My Favorite Things" which would have exceeded 5 minutes by more than a mere 30 secs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a full year! I realized that I needed to accept more hugs this year. I'm glad I opened to that. Thanks for the reminder.

    You are so right about the transitory nature of good memories/feelings. I love that you stated that so clearly and succinctly. I'd have sounded so whiny. I don't accept that well- yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, you brought such a wide smile to my face! I love, love, love the children memories. Specific! And a Tin Man in your household, how fun is that... I don't know if my son will ever be an actor like his sisters and me, but his saxophone playing has been a breakthrough!

    I am grateful you took hold and wrote for your five and a half minutes... (thank goodness there aren't any reverb10 police running around. I might have offered them a cookie to forgive me my slow-baking start on this prompt!)

    LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth! This post starts with an amazing bang (that fabulous Ray Bradbury quote) and then gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muse ~ It was a good year! The hug thing is huge for me. I don't do well with unsolicited human contact. ;) P.S. MUSE came on my iPod as I was typing this response. Coincedence? I think not.

    Julie ~ I could have filled this post with memories of my boys from this year. At 15 and 10 their personalities are becoming blinding! P.S. this year is The Music Man. Hmmmmm... what character will I end up with in the house for 2011?

    Rebecca ~ Thank you! I love that quote. Sometimes I hang onto a quote and just WISH I had the right moment to use it. Hark! Moment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post, Beth. I like the narrative.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin