A Great Place


“It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place.” ~Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass


December 14 – Appreciate
What’s the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it? (Author:
Victoria Klein) [The #reverb10 project.]



Arkadelphia, AR – This is where I live now (and have lived before) and my relationship with this town has been less than stellar. You can read about my changing attitude toward this Arkansas gem HERE. Yes, I am beginning to appreciate its charm.

How do I plan to show my new found gratitude for Small Town, USA? I have started seeking out ways to be more involved in the community. Volunteer opportunities. Being more visible with the boys school activities (as much as a single working mother can make the time to try and be involved). Whatever it takes. I’m going to be here a while. I think it’s high time I started giving back. Someday I might even start referring to it as “home”.


17 comments:

  1. A positive attitude does wonders. Good stuff here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in a very small town, and they offer many of the same pros and cons as larger ones, just fewer in number.

    It is good to appreciate what small towns can offer you and also what you can do for the community. A good balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Mark - very good to have a positive attitude. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mark & Shannon ~ Positivity about this town has been a long time coming for a myriad of different reasons. I'm glad it finally crept into me though. ;)

    thindifference ~ As a film and arts junkie, living somewhere that doesn't have either of those things has been difficult. But, yeah, there is more here than I have cared to admit in the past. You just have to know where to look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of a sentence that popped into my head the other day (perhaps I made it up or maybe not): "Stuck" is a state of mind. It could also be a town in Austria, now that I think about it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew, for a second there (after I hit Post Comment), I thought I wrote pooped instead of popped. Am now relieved. Get it? :) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post Beth. I am lucky to love where i live but it hasn't always been that way and I know how hard it can be. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. co_cor2000 ~ [Yeah, I'll use your username.] In truth? I compare every place to Kenya and none of them measure up except, maybe, London. Obviously I don't live there either. I may never love it here but I can like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure why it posted my username this time instead of my real name but at least you got the comment so...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jason ~ Can we talk about that clown picture? I mean... Duuuuuuude! Clowns are creepy enough as is. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love you action-oriented your gratitude is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry, that was supposed to be: "I love how action-oriented your gratitude is!" I'm not a stalker, I swear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. my hometown was so small i wrote in my diary before things happened. small towns are like that. good luck - volunteering seems a sure thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Noel ~ HA! ;) I think the Humane Society will be first. We can't have pets in this apartment and we all adore animals... teach the boys about volunteering now.

    wholly jeanne ~ BAHAHAHA! >> "before things happened" << You so rock.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I grew up in the same small town I still live in. (My name is Mrs Mediocrity!) For a lot of years I hated it, now I am coming around to seeing the value. I don't think it matters so much where you are as who you are while you're there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. mrs mediocrity ~ Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin