If You're Lucky I'll Knight You

Photo © Pink Sherbet Photography


What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.
~William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet


December 23 – New Name
Let’s meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why? (Author:
Becca Wilcott) [The #reverb10 project.]


After much internal deliberation, I’ve come to an important conclusion:

There is a reason we do not name ourselves.
We are not to be trusted with such… power.


I didn’t do the prompt. Bite me.

I quite like my name. I haven’t always felt as such… at least, not about the long version: “Elizabeth”. I am told my mother wanted a “Beth” but my father wanted a Biblical name. They compromised. Of course, I felt the need, somewhere in my know-it-all high school years, to point out to my father that “
Beth” is the second letter of the Hebrew alphabet and, therefore, clearly Biblical… so, “E”, “L”, “I”, “Z” and “A” were just extraneous and unnecessary. I got “the look” for that little announcement.

I have been known as “Beth” all my life with a few notable exceptions that I don’t intend to share here. But, now, “Elizabeth” isn’t as distasteful as it used to be. I wouldn’t mind sticking “Queen” in front of it because I think Queen Elizabeth I was one shrewd chick; however, that would come with all of the…. Oh hell, I’ll just say it… shit that is part and parcel of the whole royal gig. I can’t imagine that living the good life could possibly make up for the pomp, circumstance and total lack of privacy that is attached to a monarchical title.

But, if you would like to refer to me as “Queen Elizabeth” or “My Lady” then so be it. I won’t stop you. I’ll still be me. You know… a rose is a rose is a rose.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I know "the look" - the teetering as to whether to take it one step further and risk the "spatula" or "wood spoon"! Great post, Your Highness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wood spoon here! Big, fat, made to stir a pot of beans the size of a car tire, Afican wood spoon. ;) Yeah... that look.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin