Kissing Joy As It Flies

Prompt: Ordinary Joy
Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year? (Author:
Brené Brown) [The #reverb10 project.]

I have a problem with the word “ordinary”. It’s a dirty word like… “average” or “normal”. And, with no offense meant to the author of this prompt, I particularly have a problem with the word “ordinary” preceding the word “joy”. I find any moment of pure joy, large or small, to be far from ordinary. That being said…

MOMENT OF JOY


I posted this picture already this year but looking at it still gives me the same joyous feeling which, if you know me at all, is rather miraculous. See, I took it on the way to work. That’s the sunrise… as in morning… and I am NOT a morning person. I usually drive to work on auto-pilot. That morning I had to stop in the middle of the road (not a major highway) just to get the picture. Apparently I needed a few reminders that day of ordinary, in-the-present-moment things for which I should be joyful.

I needed to be reminded that I was blessed with yet another day of life. Joy.
I needed to be reminded that where I work is beautiful. Joy.
I needed to be reminded that I have gainful employment outside the confines of a corporate box and can, though things are more than a little tight, provide for my boys. Joy.

“He who binds to himself a joy
Does the wingèd life destroy;
But he who kisses the joy as it flies
Lives in eternity's sunrise.”
~William Blake



4 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous picture - no wonder it brought you joy. Moments like that for me are few and far between. Thank you for the reminder to find it when least expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to respond to this, for it’s a topic close to my heart; a favourite quotation from Blake; and I don’t consider “ordinary” to be a dirty word.

    If I were asked about the most joyful ordinary moments in my year, I'd use my blog as a reminder. The one that springs to mind first, in 2010, is this one. There were some joyful extraordinary moments too, such as when I met my stepbrother for the first time (whose biological father was my stepfather).

    May your 2011 be a cornucopia of such moments, Beth, ordinary and otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are blessed to live awake lives, aren't we, Beth? I loved this prompt as I knew it would live itself into words and form, just as you have done here, too.

    Love, blessings, love.

    So grateful for you and Reverb10 today!

    My ordinary joy may be found here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with your take on "ordinary joy". Every moment of joy is nothing less than amazing. As is that photograph. Simple stunning, Beth. I would have stopped in the middle of the road too.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin