Not All Geek Girls Wear Metal Bikinis

Necklace available from Uniquities.

Disclaimer: This post is far longer than intended. It happens. It's worth it.

"A cultivated woman, a woman of breeding and intelligence, can enrich a man's life immeasurably. I have those things to offer and time doesn't take them away. Physical beauty is a passing transitory possession but beauty of the mind, richness of the spirit, tenderness of the heart, I have all those things." ~A Streetcar Named Desire, Film (1953)


December 8 – Beautifully Different
Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful. (Author: Karen Walrond) [The #reverb10 project.]


There was a time when I fit the mold of being “that girl”. You know the one. Perfect body. Beautiful face. Gorgeous hair. Did I mention the perfect body? The funny thing about me then was that I, quite literally, didn’t realize I could have been the poster girl for what superficial society idealized as beautiful. I was clueless.

When I left the safety bubble of my
small overseas boarding school and came to the United States for university my eyes were widened to the fact that more boys found me attractive and, because of that fact, more girls were threatened or intimidated by me… or wanted me to be a part of their club. That’s when I committed the ultimate collegiate faux pas. I had no inclination to pledge to any particular social organization but, during rush week, I found myself at the drop-in for the elite ladies club on campus. I was there covering the event as a campus photographer not as an interested party. Still, the president of the club approached me and inquired, in the cheeriest yet most confident manner, if I was pledging. My response, without hesitation, was “Pfffffffft! No!” accompanied by an eye roll. I then left her standing there speechless… and she (as well as the rest of her snotty organization) never spoke to me again. I lost absolutely no sleep over it.

Then again, as outwardly pretty as I was at the time, I could have shown up to that event wearing
Princess Leia’s metal bikini or, as a far truer statement to my interests, a Chewbacca costume (I do so adore Chewy.) and the collective social club reaction would have been exactly the same… ostracization. Simply put: I was not as I seemed. They wanted the blonde bombshell not the geek girl.

The problem with society’s idea of perfect physical beauty is that when it’s gone… it’s gone. I wish I had remained ignorant to my physical attractiveness all those years ago. Today I don’t fit that mold. Oh, I’m still relatively pretty but I am more than a little overweight and I should probably invest in a dental supply company. Looking back and realizing that I “used to be desirable” is something that I should never do… because I know; I really do know that I am an extraordinarily beautiful woman.

My obsession with science fiction and fantasy is beautiful.
My raucous laugh guffaw is beautiful.
My sheer determination is beautiful.
My penchant for screaming at the television during sporting events is beautiful.
My love affair with English Literature is beautiful.
My ability to laugh at myself is beautiful.
My relationship with my children is blindingly beautiful.
My ability to beat you at Mario Golf is beautiful.
My tattoos (2) are beautiful.
My crush on Batman is beautiful.
My writing is beautiful.
My dislike of Nicholas Sparks books/movies is beautiful.
My bluntness is beautiful.
My knowledge as to the identity of Samus Aran is beautiful.
My lust for learning is beautiful.
My sarcasm, though sometimes wildly out of control, is beautiful.
My love of every musical genre on the planet is beautiful.
My scars are beautiful.
My attendance at midnight “geek” movies is beautiful.
My nubby little pinky toes are beautiful.
My draw to all things vampyric and draconic is beautiful.
My insatiable wanderlust is beautiful.
My heart is beautiful.
My lack of guilt in playing board games/Wii with my boys while “letting the house go” for a full weekend is beautiful.

I may not be slipping into a metal Princess Leia bikini anytime soon, but…

I. AM. BEAUTIFUL.

Do you hear that Beth? Are you listening?

16 comments:

  1. Great post. You're always a good read. Glad I found you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. :) Great attitude. I want to say something more substantial, but honestly, I just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed reading that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jason ~ And I you. Thank you. This one was hard for me.

    @Aba ~ Your comment is full of far more substance than I think you realize. Thank you... most sincerely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. All of it. All of you. Just...beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done m'Lady. But, I wouldn't be properly reppin' the XY Krew if I didn't at least suggest you give that metal bikini a proper try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hope beth is listening cause beth sure does tell the truth. beautiful post. and i love the whitman quote above the waiting comment box. nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honest to the core and brave. I think those should go on your list too.

    I've been enjoying your posts and thought it was time to say so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the best post on this prompt I've seen yet. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love post, the list and the way you write. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Dori ~ You know I love you, right?

    @Brad ~ Thank you, kind sir. If I commit to the promise I made to myself on Day 1... maybe... someday I'll give the bikini a go. Then again, Tatooine will freeze before that happens.

    @Fairy Godmother ~ We are lucky to have you during this journey.

    @Patti ~ I am pleased to make your acquaintance. Bless you for the compliments.

    @Jaime ~ Oh wow. Based on what I have read today... I am humbled. THANK YOU!

    @noel ~ A thousand thanks. Truly. I will now try to catch up on your "catching up" posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Beth, I need this reminder right now as well--pregnancy has been SO hard on my self esteem. I also hate Nicholas Sparks btw. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Holly ~ Pregnant or not, you are beautiful. I'm here if you need to vent... or cry. I can listen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hell yeah! I'd have loved to have seen the sorority sister's face when you did the negative reply with the eye roll!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Bybee ~ Hey lady! It was a good moment in my life. Yes. Yes, it was. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are beautiful...completely and absolutely.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin