The Present Moment

Photo © Kayla Lahti

“And you cannot move at all in Time, you cannot get away from the present moment.” ~H.G. Wells, The Time Machine


December 21 – Future Self
Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead? (Bonus: Write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?) (Author:
Jenny Blake) [The #reverb10 project.]


I’m not good with the future. If I had a DeLorean and a flux capacitor I would definitely go back to it in order to figure out what’s going to happen because, let’s be honest here, I’m not good with surprises either. You know those kids who unwrap and then rewrap their Christmas presents? Guilty. I was damn masterful and stealthy about it too.

All I know is this…
I’m so tense and stressed out right now that were I to swallow a piece of a coal… I would probably poop out a diamond.

I can only hope that in five years a lot of the contributing factors to that tension will be non-issues but I’ll probably still need the same reminder: RELAX! Frankie has commanded it.

[Lordie… My pop culture references are an age giveaway. Totally!]

Speaking of age…
I did write a letter to my past self this year.
"Dear Beth" was addressed to my sixteen-year-old self so, ahem, yeah, that was twenty years ago.

Writing a letter to me at age 26… ten years ago… would be far simpler. I see no purpose in elaborately detailed exposition therefore my letter would be trimmed down to a note:

“You are much altered. Get out NOW before you completely lose your soul.”


If I was writing me then I would know what I meant and I trust myself so I would listen to me.

But, seeing as I have neither H.G. Wells nor Doc Brown to assist me in transporting myself or a letter into the past, I choose to continue living out the consequences of my past decisions to the best of my ability and with as little regret possible.


1 comment:

  1. Intriguing way of confronting this prompt. I tore myself a new one from the vantage point of my future self deciding I needed to grow up a bit...but I love your short note to your younger self.

    And I was 16 more than 30 years ago...*sigh*

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin