Truth


“All photos are accurate. None of them is the truth.” ~Richard Avedon

December 25 – Photo (a present to yourself)
Sift through all the photos of you from the past year. Choose one that best captures you; either who you are, or who you strive to be. Find the shot of you that is worth a thousand words. Share the image, who shot it, where, and what it best reveals about you. (Author:
Tracey Clark) [The #reverb10 project.]


“All photos are accurate.” Is this me? Yes, it is.

“None of them is the truth.” Is this the real me? No, it is not.

The truth is I don’t let people take photographs of me. Not anymore.

I have control issues.

There was a time when you couldn’t separate me from a camera… being behind it, that is. I was pretty good too. In high school and college I spent hours in the dark room. Creating. I still have my old Minolta® complete with bells and whistles… lenses, filters, etc. It needs a good cleaning and the flash needs repair but I’ll never give it up. It hasn’t taken a photograph in at least ten years. I can’t afford film. I have a couple digital point and shoots (a gift) which do for day-to-day shots of the kids and stuff. Oh, to have some rockin’ digital equipment…

I digress.

The picture?
Photographer: Me
Equipment: Webcam
Location: Living Room

Yes, I digitally tweaked the color a bit.

I look hopeful. Peaceful. Pretty. The disembodied head angle hides my fat. My hair doesn’t look blonde. I am blonde. My eyes look fantastic. I like my eyes. I could be praying… with eyes lifted… and I don’t do enough of that anymore.

6 comments:

  1. There is so much...truth, right here, in a few words, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! from someone who hides behind glitter shamrocks! Love your honesty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written. And I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your eyes are arresting and so are your words. I think the truth is that we're all so hard on ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very powerful, and beautiful - your words and your face. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks y'all! Or... ALL Y'ALL! I'm feeling decidedly Southern today. I might even turn on the accent. ;)

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin