Wondrous

Photo © Universal Pictures [Love Actually]

December 4 – Wonder
How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year? (Author:
Jeffrey Davis) [The #reverb10 project.]

People are the most wondrous creatures on Earth. I have traveled much (less than some, more than others) across this rock and I have plunged deep into the waters that cover it and our planet, with her wide realm of life, is unbelievably fascinating; but, it is the diversity of humanity that captures my attention.

There is a scene at the beginning (and another at the end) of the film ‘Love Actually’, a montage of people at the Heathrow Airport arrivals gate, moments of joy as friends meet and families reconnect. As a professional people watcher, airports have always been a favorite place of mine… as are restaurants, festivals, major events and more. But, I was missing a treasure trove of viewing wonder in my day-to-day life.

I work in hospitality. People, a lot of people, cross my path each year; however, in the past, I have been too preoccupied with work to truly marvel at what takes place around me day in and day out beyond those events that can’t help but be noticed. This year I made the decision to widen my view… to truly open my eyes to the subtleties of human behavior each day, at work and home, and not just during my “down time” in a major public place. And, I am full of wonder.

I have witnessed a teenage boy befriend and become the near constant companion of his great-grandmother during a family reunion. Wonder.

On Memorial Day I saw a couple stop to pray at a flagpole bearing the Stars & Stripes. They began to pray. Instead of moving on, as I normally would have done, I watched. They were joined by others over a period of fifteen minutes. Eventually a group of 15 or 20 individuals, strangers to one another, stood praying. In retrospect, I should have joined them too. Wonder.

I have more examples. So many more. I made a choice and it changed me. While I have seen much that I would prefer to forget, it is the positive that cannot be ignored. There is hope for humanity yet. I didn’t consciously set out to “cultivate a sense of wonder” but that is exactly what happened… and it is a gift.

“From wonder into wonder existence opens.” ~Lao Tzu




4 comments:

  1. I think this year, far more so than any other year, I have been humbled and amazed at humankind's capacity for generosity, caring and hospitality. And to the ones that start to complain regarding "kids these days" and "everyone feels entitled", I say: meet new people...meet other kids. Because the amazing ones who know what it is to lose everything and still maintain their sense of awe and wonder and their capacity to love and to work--they're out there en masse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth:

    This post lights me up. So true what you say about our focus and frame.

    Thanks for participating in reverb10.

    From one Texas-raised wonderer to another,
    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeffrey ~ Thanks! You offered up a great prompt.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin