As I Dream

The Dream, Henri Rousseau, Museum of Modern Art

“We live as we dream -- alone.” ~Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

When I lay me down to sleep, my mind involuntarily latches on to one of four or five rather elaborate fictional realities which have been created by my imagination. Fantasies, for a lack of more befitting word; however, they are far less blatantly erotic than the word “fantasy” suggests. And, if I let my subconscious fall deep enough into the fabrication, then I can often manipulate my dreams into the same story. While this is something I have done for most of my life, I have come to realize that I am doing it more often of late.

I feel far less alone when I do.


6 comments:

  1. I do this too, and have as long as I can remember. It's probably the main reason I have no trouble falling asleep - I can shut my brain down by focusing on a pleasant fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG….I do this too. ALSO for as long as I can remember. I call it Fantasy Jenland. I've never been able to manipulate it into the dreams though. It happens sometimes, but never as a result of conscious effort.

    Wow. Thanks for sharing. I always felt slightly odd for doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. Only vary rarely can I manipulate my dreams ... but when I do, I feel so incredibly powerful and sure of we're I'm heading next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are times when it is a bit of a relief to discover one is not alone in certain idiosyncrasies. This is one of those times. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whilst I don't do the same thing, I can see the appeal and it does leave me wondering if I am somehow doing something wrong.

    I read until I get drowsy/dopey and tend to slide off the shelf of awareness with thoughts of what I just read or the day in garish colors in internal theater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think one can do it right or wrong. All of our brains are so wonderfully different. There aren't two of us who process the same stimuli in the same way. I've had his habit since childhood. I also have many, many recurring dreams and the repetition of various themes. I kept a dream journal for a while. It was... enlightening. And spooky.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin