Confession of a Reformed Award Show Junkie


“It isn't about the prize. It's about the gloating, the rubbing the nose in, the ‘nya-na-na-na-na-we-beat-you’ taunting that comes with the winning.” ~Chicken Little, Film (2005)

I like to see people win things. A lot.
I’m also a bit of a pop culture addict; therefore, the televised award show was once my crack. There was a time when I watched them all. No, seriously… All. Of. Them. Ask my ex. Better yet, don’t.

You may think there are a lot of award shows on television but you really have no idea... unless you suffer/have suffered from the addiction. It is real and it is powerful. At some indeterminate point in the last four years I unconsciously broke myself of the habit. For the most part.

Imagine my surprise when I arrived at work the other day and office chatter revolved around this year’s The People’s Choice Awards… which I didn’t watch. I knew it was on. Vaguely. I generally have a beef, however, with “The People” in that title. For example, “The People” voted the latest Twilight flick as the best movie of 2010. Uh huh. Yeah. Those people need a collective clunking together of their heads. There is also the little detail about how “The Industry” doesn’t really give a damn what “The People” think. Case in point: Moonlight. Voted ‘Best New TV Drama’ for 2007 by “The People”… I was part of “The People” that year… it was cancelled six months later courtesy of the writer’s strike of 2008 and industry bureaucracy.


I’d just like to point out here that “The People” voted another Alex O’Loughlin headlined series, the revamped (Heh. Heh. Vamped.) Hawaii Five-0, as the ‘Best New TV Drama’ for 2010 (I checked out the winner list online.). I may threaten bodily harm to certain industry executives if this show goes the way of Moonlight. Seriously. I love it. I love it more than I love my one season of Moonlight. That’s a lot. Yes, I have a TV problem. Bite me. Mild tangent over.



I don’t trust the opinion of “The People” but there are still a handful of awards shows that I do watch. Some faithfully. Some not. This award season I’ll be watching The Golden Globes. I don’t think the Hollywood Foreign Press should be handing out awards but the show itself is usually rather entertaining due to silly celebrity behavior. I may or may not watch The Grammy Awards. I’ve had a great distaste for popular music of late but the nominations for Mumford & Sons gives me hope for the music industry. That leaves me with The Screen Actors Guild Awards, The Academy Awards and, maybe, The Emmy Awards.

Watching four, perhaps five, awards shows a season? That’s light. Okay, so maybe I’m still mildly obsessive. But, in the midst of the entire “the winner is” hullabaloo there are usually moments of pure, real, unedited humanity… good and bad, silly and serious, genuine and fabricated. Of course, there is always the inner devilish hope that someone trips or falls on stage. That being said, The Golden Globes are this Sunday.

Is it worth it? Two words, one name: Ricky Gervais

2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah! Too funny. "Bite me" = Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not an awards show watcher, but I will watch just because of Ricky Gervais. I can't wait to see what he does.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin