Word of the Year: 2011

Before the Mirror, Pierre-Paul-Léon Glaize, The Metropolitan Museum of Art

As my initial foray into the world of
a word for the year was a spectacular sham, you would think that I wouldn’t partake of such an exercise again. You would be half right. I didn’t intend to participate. In fact, I had not given the concept conscious thought; but, true to form, my brain had other ideas and I have discovered myself using one word over and over and over again during the last three days…

PRIDE

I thought about using “dignity” or “honor” or “satisfaction” because the word “pride” conjures up a bit of guilt ingrained from thousands of Sunday School lessons geared toward the evils of pride. The Bible, of course, differentiates between “arrogant pride” and “pride in a job well done”. It would have been lovely if those teachers had done the same. So, yes, my selection is purposeful. I want to feel pride. Pride. Pride. Pride. Good pride.

On New Year’s Eve I went by a local chain clothing store to pick out part of an outfit for the evening’s festivities. I don’t often buy clothing for myself. One: I hate shopping. Two: It isn’t in the budget. Three: I hate shopping. But, with everything 50% off and my wardrobe really beginning to look more than a little bedraggled, I thought a piece or two on sale was worth the expense. Let’s just say the total was about just a bit more than double what I intended to pay upon walking into the store. I knew this at checkout but chose to slide that debit card through the payment machine and leave the store with my new purchases as opposed to asking the clerk to put back an item or two... which I perceived as an embarrassment.

Bad pride. Bad girl, Beth. Bad.

What I need is to regain/retain personal pride in certain areas of my life.
I don’t want to just “be proud”; I want to “have pride”. It’s a subtle distinction but an important one. I want to OWN my pride… my Kingdom of Selfdom.

I want to have personal pride in myself as a mother. (On the up and up.)
I want to have personal pride in my work. (Never much of a problem.)
I want to have personal pride comfort pride in my body.
I want to have personal pride in my home.
I want to have personal pride in managing my finances.
I want to have personal pride in how I live each day.
I want to have personal pride in writing & journaling.
I want to have personal pride as a woman. (Still recovering.)

Good pride.

“Pride is a personal commitment. It is an attitude which separates excellence from mediocrity.” ~William Blake

4 comments:

  1. I like this. Good pride. Why shouldn't you feel good pride? It's about time we invested that word with better meaning, and get it over the rap it's been suffering for so long.

    So, you're off to a good start. You should feel pride in this, first. The writing is SOLID!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. I am proud of you too, and proud to know you. I see no wrong in pride, but perhaps that is because I only attended one session of Sunday school. (No, I don't think I was thrown out, but that would be something to be proud of too.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck in your endeavor. I have faith that you can pull it off. I have known you but a short time, and still I think you have enough mettle to do anything you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great aspiration. I understand what you mean about pride being perceived as a bad thing but I'm with you, I want to be a little more proud this year and I think I can trust you to give me the friendly boot in the behind to make this happen and vice versa :D

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin