Violent Delights

Romeo and Juliet (1870) by Ford Madox Brown
Current location:
Deleware Art Museum

I was watching a movie the other day that I swore I would never voluntarily watch. It won’t do you any good to ask which one because I don’t intend to tell you. Or anyone. Ever. As expected, it wasn’t a very good film; however, in the midst of the watching, something dawned on me…

I kinda sorta really miss those all encompassing early stages of teenage obsession love. Yeah.

I don’t miss the wretched pining and weeping that comes after or during… even though I only recall behaving in such a manner on a singular occasion since I was usually the one doing the running away leaving.

Remember? No walls. No baggage. Just blind stupidity. Heartbreak be damned.

Good times.

"These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
Which as they kiss consume."
~ William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I remember. And I miss it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I was thinking about something similar the other day, as well. There really is nothing like the first blush of love, the exquisite pain that comes with falling for someone with everything that you are.

    I just had a Facebook request from my first serious boyfriend. Oh, how I pined for him.

    These days, I can't imagine what life would have become if we'd actually stayed together.

    I had just said to my daughter that I wish that for her...everyone should experience that.

    Happy Valentine's Day...to those in love & those in the hope of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, that love/passion/heart-renching obsession was fun while it lasted. But it had a shitty flipside too, and I don't miss that.

    But you have to admit that the "unnamed movie", although as horrible as all get out, still has a sexy as hell leading man...am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. S -> Not so sexy. Cute, maybe. Too young. ;D What film were you thinking?

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin