Conscious Song


Those who wish to sing, always find a song. ~Swedish Proverb

There is a lady here at work who has the single most thankless job in hospitality. She is a housekeeper. You may think you know what takes place in hotel rooms but unless you have worked in the industry for any length of time then, trust me, you are clueless. Nastiest. Job. Ever.

This is a job that I could not do… for any amount of money. If times were even more tough than they are now (God forbid.) and I had to resort to cleaning up after the filth of humanity in hotel rooms… I definitely wouldn’t do it with a smile. Well, I would smile, customer service and all that, but there would be no truth in the grin. No joy.

She smiles.

This lovely lady with this horrible job… she smiles. A lot. And, she means it. Every day. She has a past, as we all do, and it wasn’t a particularly pleasant or happy one... at least, not a lot of it. And still, she smiles. She also has this theory that every woman on the planet should be told that she is beautiful… Every. Single. Day.

She smiles. She smiles and she greets me and my other female coworkers with “Hello beautiful!” or “Good morning beautiful lady(ies)!”… Every. Single. Day.

This amazing woman has made a conscious choice to be happy and to make others feel appreciated and beautiful and to do her job with joy.

I wish, with every fiber of my being, that her attitude was highly contagious so that those around her would begin singing the same song.

Personally? I’ll be content if I can manage the oomph to simply hum along.

3 comments:

  1. "I'll have what she's having."

    Beth- A fantastic story about someone who has so obviously touched your life. A woman such as that deserves such praise. Thank you for sharing. You touched me today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. St. Therese once said, "... I take care to appear happy and especially to be so."

    Fake it, and eventually you will feel it. You simply have to decide that you won't waste another second being unhappy. "If you want to be somebody else, change your mind."

    Really, it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lesson for all of us. Who was it that said, "Most people are as happy as they make their minds up to be"?

    Yeah. What an asshole.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin