Livin' On A Prayer


“I am as poor as Job, my lord, but not so patient:
your lordship may minister the potion of
imprisonment to me in respect of poverty; but how
should I be your patient to follow your
prescriptions, the wise may make some dram of a
scruple, or indeed a scruple itself.”
~William Shakespeare, Henry IV (Act 1, Scene 2)

I am officially, quite literally, livin’ on a prayer. Again. Tommy & Gina had it better. At least they had each other. Lord knows… I’m not even living on actual money. I never see money. Not cash, anyway. Not really. Not anymore. Who am I kidding? Paycheck to paycheck is nothing new. I’ve been livin’ on the same prayer for just about every day of my holy-crap-I-now-have-to-be-the-adult life.

It’s getting tight.
Tighter.
Too tight.
Am I wheezing?
Gasp.

The cost of gasoline went up another fifteen cents per gallon today.
How long would it take a fat girl to walk 14 miles (one way) to work?
I sure as hell wouldn’t be the fat girl for too much longer, would I?
This is not a good plan.
Yet.

Suddenly life with that camel herder my brother tried to sell me to in Israel when I was eleven doesn’t seem quite so disturbing anymore. Simpler, yes? (Truly you know I jest.) I could have had my pick of any number of Masai warriors too…

Dear (Whoever has the power),
I’m pretty sure the lot of us truly can’t continue to make it if these startling economic trends continue. Even I, the one who loathes all things math related and who is not entirely politically savvy, can see without any sort of correctional vision instrument that things are fucked the hell way up. Fix it. Do something other than talk. I am in no need of a hand out. I work. I always have. While nice at the time, that pididdly stimulus check I got a few years ago… along with most of America, solved nothing. Let’s not try that again. And, I know I need to lose weight and all but starving myself just so my children have food to eat is really not an ideal option. Niether is walking 14 miles to work. It hasn’t come to that but, damn it, we’re sure heading in that direction. Full. Speed. Ahead. Can you not see the inevitable crash coming? Something must be done.
Sincerely,
Speeding rapidly from lower middle class to borderline poverty,
One of 13(+) million single parents in the USA,
Frustrated as hell,


P.S. – If I could move back to Kenya then I would be there already.
P.P.S. – If you leave me some sort of ridiculous political comment or bash any past or future President of the United States on this post then I will delete it without hesitation. Take your debate elsewhere.

8 comments:

  1. Honestly, Beth, I don't know how single moms do it. I'm married with two incomes and we struggle. You're right...the powers that be need to just fix it. It's far beyond broke & I'm not up for walking 15 miles when it's 115 out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been bike riding to work more, but I've always enjoyed cycling and gas prices just legitimize it for me. But 14 miles is too far to bike and then do all the things a single mom has to do.

    I look at all these "simple living" websites and sure, there are great ideas there, but they take a helluva lotta time to pull off--and time is also in short supply for you.

    Wishing you some relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I'm sure it's no coincidence that my word verification for the above comment was "worserio", which is Italian for "sometimes things get worse before they get better". :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The same wishing and hoping over here Beth. Petrol is £1.39 ($2.26) per LITRE here. Literally killing us. Would public transport be any cheaper?

    Fingers crossed ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth- I've been there. I can relate in ways you don't even know. I've never really gotten into most of them on my blog. Perhaps I should. Because this is something that many people share now, in the past, and quite possibly in the future. And maybe through community we can make our lives, and the lives of others, better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha, well such is a life...im stone broke for the last few years b/c of living as a student....but the American dream of having it all, at once, now...causes us to be broke and in debt, but the standard of living is high here, and if u arent educated or have a job that makes over 40,000 grand in most cities ( if u are single and no kids) then it will be hard to survive, unless you are very frugal and simple

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can we post about the current president? Haha, you only mentioned past or future, but I have some things to say about the current one :) Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. “Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?” ~Walt Whitman

    I don't say much as few understand my Scottish accent :)

    What's unfolding economically Beth is global in scale and there really does appear no end to it. I keep hoping it'll be fixed before we (my wife and I) go under. But nothing much appears to offer that hope. You're hurting, I'm hurting, the vast majority of us are hurting - and yet there's a section of society that is doing rather well for itself. Whatever happened to Social Justice?

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin