11: Divine Idea


“Imitation is Suicide. Insist on yourself; never imitate.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

[In celebration of Ralph Waldo Emerson’s 208th birthday… we pledge to write... #Trust30.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Write down in which areas of your life you have to overcome these suicidal tendencies of imitation, and how you can transform them into a newborn you – one that doesn’t hide its uniqueness, but thrives on it. There is a “divine idea which each of us represents” – which is yours?

(Author: Fabian Kruse)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A “divine idea” that represents me sounds suspiciously like my motto from my last post:
“My job is not to impress people, it’s to intrigue them.”
Perhaps I am fated to be one day ahead of the prompts. Or not.

I do have a divine idea. Quite grand, in fact. It’s one I have had for years though I cannot claim that it is unique. It is very possible someone else has had the very same idea. It would be lovely if it were implemented. And, yes, I guess it does represent me… in a way. I am extremely analytical, I like to solve problems and I care deeply about both humanity and this planet.

My idea? Interstate aqueducts. Hey! Do as the Romans do… or did, right?

Here in the United States we have this ridiculously semi-organized interstate road system that interconnects all over the place. We also have a water problem. Some places have too little… others have too much. There are even areas humans were not necessarily meant to populate and, yet, we did. Ahem! Las Vegas. We built reservoirs such as Lake Mead to be the main water source for these slightly uninhabitable locations and expected them to last forever. They are not. The aforementioned Lake Mead, for example, is dropping rapidly. We people are using the water out of the lake faster than it is going into the lake. It isn’t about to be a problem. It’s already a problem.

Instead of funding more dams or levees or dikes with the vain notion that humanity can control or stop water, why are we not using that money to construct an aqueduct system that runs parallel with the interstate system that already exists in order to divert it?

Aqueducts with reversible pumping systems could help us lessen a disaster in one area in order to alleviate a disaster or drought in another area. The recent floods in the Mississippi River valley alone would have refilled the rapidly shrinking Lake Mead and other disappearing reservoirs with water to spare. I’m not suggesting we change the landscape of our country. There is no need to alter the beauty of the deserts of the southwest by turning it all into lush farmland although, as the economy continues to deteriorate, perhaps that isn’t such a bad idea either.

But, I’m not an engineer. The concept seems simple to me… possible, even. Underground? Above ground? Probably a bit of both. With our technology… we can do this. Every time I take a road trip I find myself analyzing the landscape and interstate interchanges just to try and prove myself wrong because… seriously… has no one else thought of this before?

This is my idea. It is divine.

PS – I think Emerson is wrong. I don’t believe imitation is suicide, but… that’s a tangent for another day.


3 comments:

  1. re the tangent:
    'Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture , bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadow. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this your work ( and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it. Always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: "It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to"
    Quote by Jim Jarmusch, stolen by me from someone's blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things struck me about this post...first, the idea that it's not your job to impress, but to intrigue. I like that. Intrigue is so much more interesting.

    Second, the whole aqueduct idea is interesting. As someone living in the desert southwest, water shortages are a constant worry. Yet, other places have deadly amounts. Pursue this...raise your voice. It's an intriguing solution to a very real problem.

    And, I love Jane's comment. I'd never seen that quote.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin