6: Alive & Spinning


“Life wastes itself while we are preparing to live.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

[In celebration of Ralph Waldo Emerson’s 208th birthday… we pledge to write... #Trust30.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you had one week left to live, would you still be doing what you’re doing now? In what areas of your life are you preparing to live? Take them off your To Do list and add them to a To Stop list. Resolve to only do what makes you come alive. Bonus: How can your goals improve the present and not keep you in a perpetual “always something better” spiral?


(Author: Jonathan Mead)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why is it that we, as humans, think we can change things once we are faced with our own mortality? We all die. Today. Tomorrow. One week. Whenever. Would I change what I am doing right now if I only had one week to live? No. Not really. What I’m doing is providing for my two boys. There are days when I am barely hanging on by the finest thread but I am managing. It is this that does not allow me the freedom to just jaunt off in search of a dream that may or may not ever become a reality. Are there other ways I could make money? Sure. Would I have the health benefits? Retirement plan? Life insurance? No. My children need me more than I need my passing flights of fancy.

Giving my children what they need fills me with more life than any job. Do I think there is more for me out there? Yes. Am I stuck on the spiral? Pretty much. You have to admit it’s a pretty groovy spiral.

I am happy enough.

Of course, it does not matter if I’m doing what I’m doing now or if I have the ultimate I-can’t-believe-I-get-paid-for-this dream job… one week? I’ll quit everything and spend every single moment with my boys.

2 comments:

  1. Amen and amen. Love this. I will be back to the read the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well freakin' put, Beth.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin