7: Being Realistic


© Warner Bros.

“Our arts, our occupations, our marriages, our religion, we have not chosen, but society has chosen for us. We are parlour soldiers. We shun the rugged battle of fate, where strength is born.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

[In celebration of Ralph Waldo Emerson’s 208th birthday… we pledge to write...
#Trust30.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The idea of “being realistic” holds all of us back. From starting a business or quitting a job to dating someone who may not be our type or moving to a new place – getting “real” often means putting your dreams on hold.

Today, let’s take a step away from rational thought and dare to be bold. What’s one thing you’ve always wanted to accomplish but have been afraid to pursue? Write it down. Also write down the obstacles in your way of reaching your goal. Finally, write down a tangible plan to overcome each obstacle.

The only thing left is to, you know, actually go make it happen. What are you waiting for?

(Author:
Matt Cheuvront)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is nothing wrong with “being realistic” when, as a natural dreamer, I need a bit of realism to bring me down from La-La Land. There are certain scenarios, and mine definitely qualifies, where responsibility and realism and rational thought absolutely must prevail. Being bold can have both drastically good and bad consequences. I know this from experience.

There are many things that I’ve wanted to accomplish but being “afraid to pursue” them hasn’t exactly been the problem. I’m not afraid of much... except love. Yes, love. More accurately: Being loved. Pursuing other accomplishments doesn’t scare me but doing so would likely not be in the best interest of my children at the moment.

The big “to do” on my list is finishing my college degree which, for a myriad of ridiculously valid reasons, has been on hold for many, many moons. I actually applied to a local university this time last year and I was accepted; however, I never made it to enrollment for the fall semester. Thank goodness. There was a series of events that took place last fall that would have forced me to drop out… again. Can you imagine how disheartening that would have been? To go back to school after x-number of years only to withdraw a few weeks into your first semester back? Had that occurred, my dream to finish would have been shattered forever. As it is… I’ve merely put back on the shelf and I am waiting for the right time.

That’s why we have logic. Some dreams should be pursued. Others should not. Certain dreams are meant to be realized only at certain times. “Being realistic” is what helps realize what is important and what is not.

Tread carefully when peering over the side of the bridge everyone else seems to be jumping off of in the name of personal satisfaction. You might just slip before getting your bungee harness attached… dragging your dependents with you.



Quote from the rest of that really long prompt:
“Next to Resistance, rational thought is the artist or entrepreneurs worst enemy. Bad things happen when we employ rational thought, because rational thought comes from the ego. Instead, we want to work from the Self, that is, from instinct and intuition, from the unconscious. A child has no trouble believing the unbelievable, nor does the genius or the madman. It’s only you and I, with our big brains and our tiny hearts, who doubt and overthink and hesitate.” ~ Steven Pressfield, Do the Work


5 comments:

  1. I completely enjoy your honesty and love to hear each and every woman speak what is so in her life.

    I know one of these days you will return to school. Then again, I am one of these "What's the rush?" sort of people.

    Love, love, love, love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good - you are still here - in cyberspace - I found you via a Milton quote ("The mind is it's own place...") left an enthusiastic comment, then noticed the post was dated 2008.

    I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie ~ Some day! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

    Jane ~ I am still here though sometimes I wonder about the sanity of it all. I'm off now to check out your blog. I do love the name. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that you're right...sometimes, a little realism guides our hand and prevents us from stepping off of the path in the wrong place. I have every confidence that, when it's right, you'll be ready and you'll fulfill this dream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am fairly certain I am your biggest fan...who did not come from your loins.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin