8: Dimensionally Transcendental


“There will be an agreement in whatever variety of actions, so they be each honest and natural in their hour.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

[In celebration of Ralph Waldo Emerson’s 208th birthday… we pledge to write... #Trust30.]



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What would you say to the person you were five years ago? What will you say to the person you’ll be in five years?

(Author: Corbett Barr)



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


5 Years Past
I know you are scared. In truth, I would be worrying about you if calm and stoic was all I sensed from you right now. This shows you care. No one gives up on twelve years without second thoughts. You will do this and, yes, it will be hard. You will be fine. The boys will hurt, you know this, but they will be okay too… in time. Three pieces of advice: 1) Do not let yourself get drawn into ridiculous arguments or rehashing of behaviors. 2) Do not jump into anything else too soon. Seriously. 3) Quit trying so hard to leave Arkadelphia. It’s not so bad. There is a reason you are here but it is not going to be realized for a few more years. Have patience. Oh… and call your grandfather.

5 Years Future
I refuse to make any assumptions about where you are in life right now. I hope you are happy. No, that isn’t enough… I hope you are content. I hope you are not alone. I hope you are pursuing something you love even if only for your own personal satisfaction and not any sort of monetary gain. And, for the love of biscuits and gravy, I hope you stopped eating them and started truly taking care of yourself. Let me see you. Yes! Good girl.

Pardon me, but does anyone have a TARDIS I might borrow for a moment?



4 comments:

  1. Love this!!!

    This is such a great exercise. I have done the past me part in the past but the future me? the future you?

    Like a grand dance of "ta-da!" all over the place...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your future self finds contentment too. My heart feels the pain in your writing and is breaking for you. Contentment will come, but I hope your future self continues to write as openly as your current self. You have a rare and touching gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contentment over happiness, I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and so very profound. The future Beth had better be every bit as amazing as you are.

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin