A Mild Jolt

Diani Beach - Mombasa, Kenya - 1992

The healthy being craves an occasional wildness, a jolt from normality, a sharpening of the edge of appetite, his own little festival of Saturnalia, a brief excursion from his way of life. ~Robert M. Maclver, Sociologist

My father is a firm believer in vacations. It has taken every day of my life until today to realize that fact. Ridiculous, really, because he took them as often as possible. I do remember seeing him study Hebrew under a palm tree or reading a memo or two… always a little bit of work along for the ride; but, work on the beach is highly different than work in an office.

This realization has brought about an even greater longing for a “real” vacation than I had earlier this morning. Reason being? I haven’t had one in a ridiculous amount of time... a vacation... not the longing. That's standard. And, I have always been bothered by the fact that I did not have the means or opportunity to take my children on vacations like I took with my parents.

While growing up, our vacation location of choice was Mombasa, or sometimes Malindi, Kenya. There is no predicting what deal I would make with the devil to be in Mombasa right now. But, since I cannot be there, I have managed a very little time off (2 work days + a 3-day holiday weekend) next week. As I work in a resort and it is our busy season... it feels like a coup. It also won’t be enough but, at this point, I have no clue what would be enough. I also will not be on a beach or in a European cathedral or at a Broadway musical. I definitely won’t be in Mombasa or Rome or experiencing any form of wildness; but, I will be with my boys at my parent’s home.

It is time off… a brief excursion... a very mild jolt.
For this I am grateful.
I’m sure everyone at work is grateful too.
I am getting kind of stabby.
They should probably hide all sharp objects until I leave.



3 comments:

  1. Beth: Second attempt at leaving you a thought that "popped."

    You have a very, very interesting life story, one that people would be interested in and could learn from. Ever think of taking it "on the road?" You could speak to it from different locales and have a "vacation" as you travel. This is something that I am learning now as I work and I'm seeing how I can apply it to and for myself.

    Just had to share it with you; I'd certainly want to hear more about your voyage!

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am glad! Make sure you make the most of it and enjoy yourself, lady! If that means propping your feet up with a glass of wine in one hand and a box of chocolates in the other; or sleeping through the five days then so be it. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth,

    you do have such interesting life story. Have you thought about 'writing down your bones' and publish a book (e-book and paper)?

    Anyway, love reading your posts.

    In'lakesh, Michi

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin