We That Never Was Us



“O body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?”
~William Butler Yeats, Among School Children


Why do we dance this charade?


You cloak your words amid the blindingly beautiful plumage of a peacock’s narcissistic strut. Tapping around innuendo, I coerce from you one feather… then two… masquerading behind false confidence.


You taunt with promise.
I feign indifference.


We tease the unknown.


I curtsy.
My eyes seduce from behind veil of steel.


You bow.
Your hand extending with burning anticipation.


We touch… Fire to Ice.


I melt.
You mock.


We pause…


Footsteps echo far.
Illumination dims.
I waltz alone behind the curtain.


We that never was Us deteriorates in dark silence.



3 comments:

  1. Thank you. I put pen to paper instead of relying on the keyboard for the first time in far too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, have to say it was a good piece. If paper is all you needed then get some more!!

    ReplyDelete

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?" ~Walt Whitman

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin